Posted by: Good Shepherd Services
Brooklyn, NY, US
Location: 797 Bushwick Avenue Brooklyn NY 11221
Hours: 10.5 – 11 Hours/ Week (3 afternoons/week) Non-Exempt
Good Shepherd Services, goes where children, youth, and families face the greatest challenges and builds on their strengths to help them gain skills for success. We provide quality, effective services that deepen connections between family members, within schools, and among neighbors. A leading NYC non-profit that has been recognized for its commitment to the success of young people and families, is currently seeking an Activity Instructor- Dance for our Afterschool program at Bushwick Leaders HS located in Brooklyn.
JOB SUMMARY: The Dance Activity Instructor engages youth in performance-based dance, as well as designing elements for showcases throughout the school year
- Recruit participants through proactive engagement on an ongoing basis
- Responsible for assisting in the retention of students for the activity
- Pre-planning of activity; activities are to provide students with structure, purposeful use of activity and self, including beginning and ending rituals.
- Develop dance curriculum based on students’ interest. Curriculum should promote creativity, self-expression, opportunity for mastery, and emotional and professional growth, and should be able to be altered to respond to need when appropriate
- Be able to contain behaviors and maintain the space while teaching, setting clear expectations
- Develop several dance performances for culminating events showcasing students work
- Attend and participate in staff meetings as needed
- Facilitate purposeful dance-themed activities in community hour and participate in other staff lead activities as part of the staff team
- Foster a youth development, strength’s based environment, fostering a sense of belonging, safety, and community to participants.
- Collaborate with Good Shepherd and DOE staff
- Document classes/ workshop planning as required.
- Participate in afterschool events including BBQ Thursdays and Trips as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Extensive dance, choreographing experience required, as well as experience teaching dance required
- Experience with high-school age adolescents is preferred.
- Must be able to engage young people and set structure and limits in a group setting.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must have a commitment to work from a strength-based and/or youth development perspective.
All staff are expected to be committed to the mission, vision and values of Good Shepherd Services, which includes involvement in quality improvement activities and a willingness to work within a culturally diverse environment.
Good Shepherd Services is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act. We encourage all qualified individuals to apply. Any offer of employment is contingent upon receiving satisfactory references and approval of hire by applicable regulatory bodies, as appropriate. For programs regulated by the Department of Education, the Department of Health and the Department of Youth Justice Programs, the respective City departments determine employment eligibility and advise Good Shepherd Services (GSS) if the organization can hire the individual. Falsification or omission of relevant information in connection with any application for employment is grounds for denial or dismissal.