Posted by: University of Global Health Equity
Kigali, Kigali, Rwanda
Position Title: Assistant Director, Master of Science in Global Health Delivery, University of Global Health Equity
Reports to: Faculty Director, Master of Science in Global Health Delivery, University of Global Health Equity
Location: Kigali, Rwanda
University of Global Health Equity (UGHE) is a new kind of university focused on training the next generation of global leaders in health care delivery. The university launched in Rwanda in September 2015 with its flagship degree program; the Master of Science in Global Health Delivery (MGHD). Through an academic experience uniquely rooted in the values of equity, students are empowered to both ease suffering at the bedside and drive transformational, systemic changes to the health system.
UGHE is an initiative of Partners In Health (PIH), an internationally recognized non-profit organization whose mission is to provide a preferential option for the poor in health care. In over nearly three decades of operating alongside public sectors in countries around the world, PIH has developed a model to deliver high quality health care to some of the world’s most marginalized communities. Nowhere has this impact been more profound than in Rwanda, where Inshuti Mu Buzima—PIH’s sister organization—and our government partners have driven innovation for a decade.
With innovative curricula rooted in the principles of health equity, and incorporating the latest advances in education technology, UGHE will offer undergraduate and graduate programs in medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, and global health delivery.
The MGHD is the inaugural and flagship program at UGHE and provides a one-of-a-kind learning experience fundamentally rooted in the principles of global health, One Health, epidemiology, policy, biosocial analysis, management, and leadership. Students will have diverse opportunities to connect and to work with global health professionals and colleagues. The program enables working professionals to leverage academic resources rooted in implementation science to solve complex global health challenges in their current professions. It will train leaders skilled in multifaceted and evidence-based approaches to improve the health of Rwanda and beyond. The University seeks an Assistant Director for the MGHD to support the continued management and execution of the MGHD program.
Members of the UGHE community are tenacious and resolute in our drive to attain social justice, make common cause with those in need, listen to and learn from others, and operate with honesty and humility as we uphold academic integrity and intellectual curiosity. The University of Global Health Equity seeks individuals committed to these values to join the team.
The Assistant Director for the MGHD, in close collaboration with the Faculty Director for the MGHD, will support recruitment, admissions, and matriculation processes for MGHD students, faculty, and program administration. Additionally, the Assistant Director will implement, manage, and continuously improve systems and structures needed to masterfully manage the dynamic degree program and associated events.
- Recruit candidates into the MGHD Program.
- Coordinate logistics for and oversee events and processes related to recruitment, admissions, scholarships, matriculation, and graduation.
- Participate in candidate evaluation through informal meetings and information sessions, written applications, entrance examination, admission interviews, and scholarship assessment.
- Develop and coordinate programmatic logistics to support academic experience such as week-long and weekend learning intensives, evening courses, and related events.
- Identify and disseminate appropriate scholarship and fellowship opportunities for current and prospective students; accompany students through the scholarship application and acceptance process.
Event and Information Management
- Serve as the first point of contact for prospective and current MGHD students.
- Manage and generate reports derived from candidate and student data.
- Experience mentoring master’s students.
- Experience working with faculty.
- Experience managing admission and scholarship processes, products, and timelines for university programs.
- Experience working in Rwanda or in other relevant contexts.
- Familiarity with health science and/or global health education and training.
- Experience in event planning or proven skills to organize and execute logistics.
- The ability to manage, to organize, to develop plans and to make decisions using data.
- Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills with ability to collaborate with professionals at all levels in diverse settings; must be flexible, reliable, responsive, and resourceful.
- Demonstrated strategic thinking and analytical skills, good judgment, and creative problem-solving.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills
- Excellent computer skills with fluency in Excel, all Microsoft Office Suite programs, Google products, and admissions and student management systems as well as the ability to learn new computer programs quickly.
- Master’s degree in education, health, social science, business, humanities, or in another relevant field
- Commitment to social justice, health care, and equity