Posted by: Surfrider Foundation
San Clemente, CA, US
The Surfrider Foundation, San Clemente, CA – California Coastal Policy Coordinator
The Surfrider Foundation is a non-profit environmental organization dedicated to the protection and enjoyment of oceans, waves, and beaches through a powerful grassroots network. The Surfrider Foundation has achieved many important victories by persuading state, federal, and local governments to protect vital coastal and ocean resources. These accomplishments demonstrate the important role of community members and recreational users in advancing coastal and ocean stewardship.
The Surfrider Foundation seeks to hire an individual to work on California coastal preservation issues, with an emphasis on monitoring and responding to critical items before the California Coastal Commission. The individual will work under the direction of the California Policy Manager and in close collaboration with other staff, organizational partners and Surfrider’s California chapter network.
- Monitor current science, policy and political developments relevant to Surfrider’s California coastal preservation work.
- Work in collaboration with NGO partners, state agencies, universities and other partners to advance Surfrider’s coastal preservation priorities.
- Develop content for Surfrider’s communication platforms on coastal issues, including blogs, social media and other publications.
- Read and summarize policy documents including Coastal Commission staff reports and related agency documents.
- Attend Coastal Commission hearings to testify on agenda items as necessary.
- Regularly update the ActCoastal website with monthly Coastal Commission hearing voting charts, an annual review of voting and blog posts on coastal preservation topics.
- Develop comment letters in collaboration with the California Policy Manager and Surfrider chapters.
- Work with California Policy Manager and Surfrider chapters to engage local municipalities who are currently planning for climate change adaptation and sea level rise.
- Collaborate with the California Policy Manager to create and disseminate educational resources.
- Develop and maintain positive relationships with the funding community and identify new opportunities to support Surfrider’s environmental work.
- Assume leadership on projects and meetings as coordinated with the California Policy Manager.
- Experience with coastal policy at the state and local levels.
- Knowledge of coastal science, shoreline processes, and climate change issues.
- Experience with online communication tools.
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide array of audiences, both orally and in writing.
- Experience speaking publicly in front of a large number of people in diverse situations.
- Experience in campaign planning, policy development and coalition building.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team member in a dynamic environment.
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively.
- Willingness to work flexible hours for meetings and travel.
Desired Education and Experience:
- Minimum three years of experience working in environmental science, policy and/or advocacy.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in environmental management, ocean policy and/or marine science.
- Familiarity with coastal land use planning, shoreline permitting, sea level rise adaptation, and beach dredge and fill projects.
- Familiarity with the California Coastal Act.
- Proven ability to effectively manage multiple, complex tasks and to regularly evaluate priorities.
- Professional experience communicating, both orally and in writing, with agency staff, elected officials, industry representatives and stakeholders.
- Professional experience in campaign planning, policy development, grassroots organizing, and coalition building.