Posted by: Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life
Stanford, CA, US
Hillel at Stanford seeks a focused relationship builder to be its next Director of Development. The development director will use their strong collaboration and active listening skills to engage a wide variety of community members and potential donors in the exciting opportunities that Hillel@Stanford can offer. Hillel@Stanford has an annual operating budget of over $1.4 million, which includes annual campaign gifts of over $1M in grants and individual contributions. The Development Director will report to the executive director, serve on the senior professional team, and work closely with lay leadership. The director will collaborate with Hillel staff members, and many student, faculty, university, and community volunteers. Candidates will juggle a variety of responsibilities, including special projects from time to time. The portfolio includes the following responsibilities:
- The director will create and lead implementation of the annual development plan, with significant support from the Executive Director and lay leadership.
- Lead and manage Hillel’s overall development efforts to raise an annual budget of over $1M.
- Analyze current trends, recommend and implement action plans to grow the number of donors, increase contributions, and identify new opportunities.
- Coordinate major gift solicitations by Executive Director and board members. Produce specialized correspondences, preparing letters of acknowledgment, scheduling and attending in-person visits.
- Research and steward prospective donors.
- Supervise annual campaign mailings, and oversee maintenance of the donor database.
- Assist in preparation of grant proposals and supporting documentation. Oversee a calendar to ensure receipt of grant funds and prepare follow up reports.
- Develop and execute compelling parent and alumni outreach, including parlor meetings and campus meetings.
- Monitor results, communicate with staff and lay leaders, and adjust strategy as needed.
- Develop and manage Board fundraising capacity.
- Train and lead other staff and board members to support fundraising and marketing efforts.
- Build partnerships with campus administration and Development Office, Hillel’s International Center, local Jewish institutions, and foundations.
This position requires the ability to passionately represent our mission, build strong relationships with community and staff members, motivate volunteers, pay close attention to details, and think creatively. Additional qualifications include the following:
- Three or more years of nonprofit development experience.
- Proven track record of achieving revenue targets and/or a quota of over $1M annually
- Proven management and leadership capabilities.
- High energy, positive, “can-do” attitude, flexibility, teamwork, and attention to detail; high degree of initiative.
- Strong verbal communications skills and demonstrated ability to write clearly and persuasively.
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and thorough understanding of strategic development.
- Good computer skills and knowledge of data base programs.
Because Hillel’s events and programs sometimes are scheduled on evenings and weekends during the academic year, candidates will occasionally work outside of normal business hours.
Hillel@Stanford is a non-profit organization which has built a strong foundation for Jewish life at Stanford University for over fifty years. Hillel@Stanford’s mission is to empower Jewish students at Stanford to explore and deepen their Jewish identities, and to envision their futures with choices inspired by Jewish values and commitments. Leveraging the distinction of Stanford University and the global impact of our graduates, Hillel enriches the lives of Jewish undergraduate and graduate students so that they may enrich the Jewish people and the world. Our beautiful new Hillel building, completed in 2008, are the hub and home for Jewish life at Stanford. Hillel@Stanford has a prominent board of directors, including students, faculty, Stanford administrators, alumni, and parents.
Hillel@Stanford is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.