Posted by: Citizen Schools
Durham, NC, US
The Director of External Engagement (DEE) will be a key driving force of transformational change in order to facilitate our ability to scale our work and build a national movement around re-imagining the school day. The DEE will ensure we achieve our growth goals by creating and stewarding high-stakes, high-profile partnerships with a wide range of private and public sector organizations throughout North Carolina. The DEE will serve as a senior member of the North Carolina regional team, and will be a key thought partner to the Executive Director in identifying and capitalizing on new growth opportunities.
The DEE will work closely with national colleagues to continue to drive our operations and strategy to new heights, both by providing feedback and solutions and serving as a conduit for local implementation of national initiatives. The Director of External Engagement position is a full-time role reporting to the Executive Director of Citizen Schools North Carolina and will be based in the Raleigh/Durham area of North Carolina.
Fundraising Strategy and Implementation
- Work with the Executive Director to set and meet North Carolina’s fundraising target each year. Align fundraising efforts with Citizen Schools’ overall strategic plan and organizational goals
- Work effectively with colleagues across the growing Citizen Schools national network to raise funds locally, share information, resources, and leads, manage relationships effectively, and collaborate on national efforts
- Expand Citizen Schools’ North Carolina donor base and pipeline by crafting and implementing a comprehensive development strategy based on existing and new prospects in corporate, individual and foundation sectors.
- Coordinate local and statewide fundraising events. Use regular stakeholder site visits and other campus events to engage current donors more deeply and cultivate prospective donors/volunteers
- Ensure that Citizen Schools’ brand is being clearly and effectively conveyed in all internal and external messaging
Fundraising Research and Relationship Management
- Lead targeted research efforts and develop the strategies and relationship-building activities required to engage investors; research new leads within each funding category, with a particular focus on corporate partnerships.
- Arrange and attend events, conferences, and meetings to generate new leads
- Steward primary local funder relationships and develop systems of appreciation and communication for each funder. Share funder best practices with colleagues in Citizen Schools’ state offices and provide appropriate connections to prospects in other states
- Manage Salesforce, and all other data tracking system in the CSNC office; identify and advocate for database improvements with the national organization.
Individual Donor and Partner Stewardship:
- Use Citizen Schools apprenticeship opportunities as key lever to engage new and existing corporate donors in Citizen Schools’ work, while assisting with stewardship and retention of current and past volunteers
- Work with the North Carolina team and national External Engagement department to develop the volunteer recruitment strategy, (which includes nonprofits and civic organizations) and ensure alignment of apprenticeship recruitment goals
- Work with Board of Advisors to steward and maximize relationships to more effectively leverage their connections for the organization’s benefit
All candidates should have demonstrated leadership skills, a passion for education and community, and effective collaboration skills. Other qualifications include:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution required
- Fundamental belief in the ability of all children to achieve excellence in school and in life on an absolute scale, and in the Citizen Schools model as a catalyst for transforming schools and communities
- At least 3+ years of direct experience in fundraising, relationship management, and prospect development. The ideal candidate will possess a track record of exceeding goals in donor cultivation and fundraising targets.
- Desire to work in an entrepreneurial, start-up environment. Energized by the opportunity to build the local presence of a strong, nationally branded leader in out-of-school time.
- Exceptional relationship-management skills, including proven abilities to influence & motivate others as well as fierce attention to detail and follow-through
- Outstanding project management skills with a demonstrated ability to ensure on-time completion of long-term projects
- Highly developed interpersonal skills, excellent oral presentation and written skills
- Experience planning and executing events preferred
- Demonstrated skill in MS Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Skill with relational databases (especially Salesforce) highly preferred.
- Knowledge of, and existing networks in, the North Carolina area would be a significant advantage
- Willingness and ability to travel within the region and work evenings and weekends as needed
- Ability to model Citizen Schools’ core values: Pride, Joy, Respect, Courage, Teamwork, Perseverance, and Vision.