Posted by: Citizens Utility Board
Chicago, IL, US
The Citizens Utility Board (CUB) is a nonpartisan, nonprofit statewide utility watchdog organization created to serve as a voice for residential and small business consumers. CUB strives for better service and lower rates for all Illinois residents. Our work ranges from challenging utility rate hike requests and fighting for better consumer protection laws in Springfield, to offering money-saving advice to individual consumers.
We are currently seeking an energetic, public-interest-minded individual to fill the position of Environmental Outreach Coordinator and assist in CUB’s statewide advocacy and outreach efforts.
The Environmental Outreach Coordinator’s primary duties consist of promoting CUB’s services, especially around smart grid, energy efficiency, and www.CUBenergysaver.com (CES), to individuals and groups throughout Illinois. He/she assists the organization in its statewide advocacy and outreach efforts, particularly in the area of environmental education and awareness.
- Develops an understanding of demand-response and energy-efficiency programs available for utility consumers;
- Becomes conversant in how consumers can manage their utility costs by making their households more energy-efficient;
- Works with other CUB staff to educate Illinois consumers about the connections between energy efficiency and lower energy costs;
- Schedules and conducts meetings and presentations to introduce CES and CUB’s other services to consumers and decision-makers;
- Helps consumers and stakeholders troubleshoot issues with CES and other CUB technology programs;
- Builds grassroots support for increased state and federal investment in energy efficiency;
- Works with CUB’s communications department to promote outreach efforts in the media;
- Helps shape public message, identifying what works at the grassroots level and what doesn’t;
- Researches energy policy in Illinois and works with the communications department to keep CUB’s website and fact sheets up-to-date;
- Answers individual consumers’ questions about energy-efficiency and demand-response programs in Illinois;
- …And other outreach duties as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Knowledge of environmental issues and/or previous campaign experience a plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- A proven commitment to public interest work
- Willingness to travel throughout Illinois and work some evening/weekend hours
- Valid Illinois driver’s license
- Available: Immediately
Read more here:: Idealist