Posted by: Harlem Children’s Zone
New York, NY, US
When students enter HCZ Promise Academy Charter Schools, we make a promise to help each and every one get to and through college. Everything we give our students—from world-class instruction and exceptional extracurricular activities to social emotional support and healthy meals—is aimed at fulfilling that promise. Our schools have a longer school day and year, helping us keep our kids safe and engaged, ensure their success in core subject areas, and give them an immersive, well-balanced education that includes exposure to the arts, daily physical activity, and field trips to museums, performances, sporting events and, of course, college campuses.
To support our teachers, we provide them with weekly professional development, access to top-of-the-line technology, including a personal laptop, and Smartboards and tablets in the classroom. Additionally, our teachers are surrounded by colleagues and professionals—ranging from academic and instructional coaches and deans of students, to guidance counselors and social workers—all committed to ensuring the success for every child. As a teacher at Promise Academy, you will take your place in a team that seamlessly surrounds children in a safe, enriching environment, making sure the reach their full potential.
We are seeking an ESl Teacher. The ideal candidate will bring a passion for the mission of HCZ Promise Academy, an understanding and respect for the culture of all residents of Harlem, and a desire for working in a school setting that fosters a love for children.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensure that the school’s academic standards are rigorous, clear, measurable, and aligned with New York State Learning Standards
- Develop curricula and activities that are aligned with the academic standards
- Develop assessments that measure progress toward the academic standards
- Ensure that students master grade-level standards
- Maintain and communicate high academic and personal expectations for all students
- Incorporate direct instruction, discussion, projects and cooperative work to engage students, keep classes focused and infuse a lasting desire to learn
- Follow the school’s policies and procedures for student conduct and discipline, and refuse to tolerate classroom disruptions
- Develop and use a variety of assessments (e.g., exams, written work, and public performances) that frequently measure student progress toward the school’s content and skill standards
- Develop clear evaluation criteria and distribute to students prior to assignments
- Communicate effectively with students, parents, and colleagues
- Share responsibility for grade level and school-wide activities
Qualification, Skill and Knowledge Requirements
- A dedication and commitment to the mission of HCZ Promise Academy
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 2 years teaching experience is required
- 2 – 5 years teaching experience in an urban school setting is desired
- Must be willing to work Saturday’s during test prep season – additional compensation is provided
- New York State certification in subject area required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills