Posted by: American Immigration Council
Washington, DC, US
The Council’s legal team engages in impact litigation and appears as amicus curiae before administrative tribunals and federal courts to ensure that immigration law is interpreted and implemented in a manner that is sensible and humane. The legal team has established itself as a leader in litigation, information-sharing, and collaboration among immigration litigators across the country. The legal team is also one of the leading providers of legal resources for immigration advocates, including in-depth practice advisories, trainings and litigation strategy meetings.
Your Role –
The Senior Staff Attorney will work with the Legal Director, fellow attorneys, the Council’s policy team, and our legal assistant to:
- Pursue impact litigation and advocacy efforts on a broad spectrum of issues, which may include the right to counsel, family detention and border enforcement.
- Write and submit amicus briefs to federal courts and agencies.
- Submit and, where necessary, litigate Freedom of Information Act requests.
- Draft practice advisories and other litigation resources for immigration practitioners.
- Provide training and practice assistance to immigration practitioners.
- Collaborate with AILA, law firms, and other partner organizations.
- Participate in working groups and coalitions in furtherance of the Council’s goals.
- Supervise junior attorneys, legal fellows and/or law student interns.
- Serve as a spokesperson for the Council on selected issues.
Required Education and Experience –
JD, admission to any state bar, and eligibility to waive into the District of Columbia bar (if not admitted). At least seven (7) years of federal court litigation experience, ideally both at the trial court and appellate levels. Knowledge of immigration law and experience in removal defense highly desirable.
Your Background –
To be effective and successful in this position, you should possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Commitment to the Council’s mission.
- Excellent legal research, writing, and oral advocacy skills.
- Team player.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively and work strategically.
- Significant public speaking experience.
- Working knowledge and proficiency in MSOffice Suite (specifically MSWord, MS Excel, MS Outlook, and PowerPoint).
- Spanish proficiency preferred.
Our Workplace –
We offer a dynamic, challenging, rewarding, and collaborative work environment. We offer a competitive total compensation package (salary and benefits) commensurate with experience. Visit us online at www.americanimmcouncil.org.