Posted by: Legal Assistance of Western New York (Geneva, NY)
Geneva, NY, US
Program Start Date:
Members will attend a Pre-Service Orientation (tentatively scheduled for the last full week in July) and start their term of service on or about August 1, 2016.
Legal Assistance of Western New York®‘s (LawNY®) Geneva office seeks one AmeriCorps VISTA Member to serve in our Education Advocacy Project. LawNY® is a not-for-profit law firm which provides civil legal services to low-income clients in a fourteen-county region in western New York State. The Geneva office serves five of those fourteen counties (Livingston, Ontario, Seneca, Wayne and Yates) and provides representation primarily in the areas of housing, public benefits, family, education, consumer, health and elder law. LawNY® has six other offices located in Bath, Elmira, Ithaca, Jamestown, Olean and Rochester, New York.
Through outreach, community education, and capacity building, the VISTA member will help LawNY® continue the development of a project that will (1) conduct outreach to community organizations and discuss effective strategies for filling gaps in current education advocacy services; (2) recruit and train 10 pro bono attorneys; and (3) review outcomes for continual program improvement. Our AmeriCorps VISTA member will also help us identify and secure resources to make this a permanent part of our service delivery system.
LawNY® is looking for a talented and dedicated AmeriCorps VISTA member to help develop the project into something that can meet the community’s needs now and for years to come. Candidates should have a bachelor’s degree, strong writing skills, and strong verbal communication skills. Prior experience working with families, non-profit organizations and/or low income/disadvantaged households is preferred. The member should have a commitment to eliminating poverty and its effects in our communities and to high standards of professional performance. The member’s activities will include outreach, seeking financial resources to sustain the project, developing relationships with community partners, organizing outreach events, recruiting volunteers to assist with various phases of the project, and helping to better serve the project’s clients.
Serve New York and LawNY® present an opportunity to be part of a great AmeriCorps VISTA team, excellent training and mentoring, and a chance to make a critical difference in the lives of low income people and their communities. The member will team with dedicated professionals, including other AmeriCorps members, in an established poverty law program.
Benefits of AmeriCorps VISTA Service:
- $17,170 annual stipend, paid as follows:
- $11,676 annual stipend ($486.50 bi-weekly) from AmeriCorps Serve New York VISTA Program
- $5,494 housing allowance ($457.83 per month) paid by LawNY®
- Option of a $5,775 education award or a $1,500 cash stipend presented at the end of a year of service
- Deferment of qualified federal and some private student loans
- Year long position with possibility of 2nd year
- Post-service federal employment incentives and opportunities
- Health care, child care, life insurance available
- Intensive trainings and member support
- Requires full-time service
- Applicant can have outside, part-time employment
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Excellent communication and writing skills
- Applicants should be enthusiastic, committed to an ethic of service and interested in serving the communities of New York State
- Self-initiative and past experience in volunteering and/or within the non-profit sector encouraged