Posted by: Marine Stewardship Council
Washington, DC, US
The Marine Stewardship Council is seeking candidates for a US Commercial Officer, based in our Washington, DC office. The Commercial Officer for the US will report to the Senior Commercial Manager US and help in the delivery of the MSC’s overarching aims and objectives with seafood supply chain companies, retailers, foodservice operators, restaurants and relevant associations. The post holder will be responsible for outreach to these businesses and organizations with the aim of increasing support for and participation in the MSC program.
Outreach involves relationship building and maintaining, promoting and explaining the MSC concept and certification program to potential partners, pitching MSC-related marketing and promotional activities to partner companies, supporting the development of relevant MSC publications, etc.
In doing so, the Commercial Officer will work in collaboration with the Senior Commercial Manager, the various team members based in the Region and other members of the wider MSC team to deliver a consistent approach to the market sectors in the US.
The post holder will also work strategically with the US communications team in promoting MSC and its partners in the media and the public. The Commercial Officer will field new inquiries from outside companies seeking MSC certification and ecolabeling of product. They will also provide program training to potential and existing partners in the field. The post holder will provide input to relevant work streams and projects as needed to assist the MSC’s commercial outreach team.
Ultimately, the post strives to increase the supply of MSC labelled sustainable seafood choices across the US and support our partners in understanding the MSC program.
There is limited administrative support available but the post holder should expect to be self-servicing regarding booking of tickets, planning trips etc. Outreach travel in the US and or international travel as assigned.
Minimum qualifications include
- BA or BS degree and/or relevant working experience with supply chain, the food or seafood business, marketing, fisheries or international business.
- Good understanding of the role of eco-labelling.
- Proficient computer skills, including the use of standard software packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Demonstrated excellence in spoken and written communication in English and Spanish is required. Occasional translation of documents into Spanish is required.
- Ability to call on both retail and food service accounts to influence decisions makers to source certified sustainable seafood and use the blue ecolabel on consumer facing point of sale and materials.
- Ability to develop and strengthen relations with commercial stakeholders.
- Work in line with MSC’s global commercial strategy and support the Senior Commercial Manager and team in the region in strategy development by mapping product flows and supply relations, feeding into internal consultation processes and participating in relevant internal working groups.
- Liaise with other departments of the MSC to ensure an integrated approach to certification, marketing and outreach.
- Provide oral and written advice through briefings, submissions and reports to MSC staff.
- Report progress against agreed work plans.
- Demonstrated knowledge of fisheries and resource sustainability issues, particularly as they relate to wild capture fisheries and/or the seafood industry is a plus.
For the full Job Description and Organizational Chart visit our website at: www.msc.org.