Posted by: International Rescue Committee
New York, NY, US
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the largest humanitarian agencies in the world providing relief, rehabilitation, and post-conflict reconstruction support to families impacted by conflict and disasters. The IRC has worked for over seven decades and today is involved in over 25 conflict zones in the world. We address both the immediate, lifesaving needs of conflict-affected people and the reconstruction needs in post-conflict societies. IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships, and accountability to those we serve.
The Economic Recovery and Development Unit (ERD) is responsible for providing dynamic, innovative support to IRC’s field offices for their economic and livelihoods programming. This unit provides technical assistance, ensures innovation, promotes best practices, and helps to improve data collection and analysis for economic and livelihoods programming within the organization. Externally, the IRC has been a leader in developing and promoting market-based responses to emergencies based on a good understanding of critical market systems, and local economies and livelihoods are supported, not undermined during the emergency and transition phases. In addition to emergency and agricultural focused programming the ERD Unit supports the development of next step humanitarian livelihoods programs focused on longer term em ployment and enterprise development solutions and support to local market actors.
The primary role of the ERD Digital Data Officer is to support improved information management and data collection processes within economic programs. This includes helping teams to identify and analyze opportunities to use ICT solutions to improve data collection and management, integrating ICT solutions within existing and new data management and collection systems both at global and country levels, continuing to stay abreast of new ICT data management tools, resources and platforms and identifying potential partners and avenues for exploring additional ICT integration beyond data management.
This position will work closely with the M&E Officer and country teams to help select the appropriate ICT solutions and promote consistency across data management for reoccurring ERD programming. This includes an emphasis on building country and ERD TU teams’ capacity to better utilize ICT within data management for program implementation through quality data collection and evidence-based decision making.
1. DEVELOP ICT STRATEGIES AND TOOLS FOR ERD DATA MANGEMENT:
- Working closely with the ERD M&E Officer support the development of ICT based tools for ERD program data collection and management systems;
- Develop and revise best practice guides, manuals, trainings and other technical resources to improve the quality of ICT applications;
- Continue to adapt and refine tools and resources based on field and TU feedback;
2. PROVIDE ON-GOING DIRECT TECHNICAL SUPPORT TO COUNTRY PROGRAMS AND ERD TU STAFF
- Working closely with ERD TAs and the ERD M&E Officer provide ongoing technical support to ERD country program staff in integrating ICT based solutions into data collection and management
- Provide ongoing training and capacity building in ICT data management tools and techniques to ERD country program staff and ERD TAs
- Support HR in recruitment for relevant positions in the field (international staff, interns and consultants): assist with developing job descriptions, conduct technical interviews and provide feedback.
3. IDENTIFY POTENTIAL PARTNERS FOR ICT SOLUTIONS EXPANSION
- Stay abreast of ICT data collection and management platforms, resources and tools
- Support the development of a partnership list/roster of potential ICT partners focused on ERD programming areas
- Masters degree in international development, business administration, computer sciences or other related field;
- Minimum of 3 years experience in delivering and managing ICT systems and programming, including experience in implementing programs overseas, preferably in conflict or disaster-affected environments;
- Experience with mobile data collection and analysis tools and such as ODK, Kobo, Commcare and including GIS software;
- Knowledge of MS Excel, DHIS2, and data visualization/analysis software
- Knowledge of basic HTML, XML, CSS and Content Management Systems to support maintenance of websites;
- Familiarity with economic recovery and development programming in areas such as cash transfers, employment/enterprise development, food security/ agriculture, and access to finance
- The ability to travel extensively to developing countries;
- Excellent writing and editing skills for proposal and technical resource development;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills: the ability to successfully listen to, interact with, and communicate clearly with people from diverse nationalities and backgrounds, as well as with senior level internal and external stakeholders;
- Solid organizational skills: the ability to work independently and productively in a fast-paced environment;
- Flexible work attitude: the ability to work productively in a team and multi-sectoral environment & independently;
- French and Arabic language skills are a plus, but not required;
Read more here:: Idealist