Posted by: JOIN: Connecting the Street to a Home
Portland, OR, US
Outreach Worker – North/Northeast
Full Time: $34,000 w/employer paid Health Benefits (medical & dental benefits for employee and all dependents, 403(b), flex plan, and paid vacation)
JOIN (www.joinpdx.org) is a non-profit social service agency that supports the efforts of people experiencing homelessness to end their homelessness and achieve long term housing stability. We envision a community where homelessness is transformed from a long-term condition into a short-term circumstance.
This work is undertaken on the street in people’s camps and, once housed, in their apartments. Successful candidates will be able to build authentic relationships and work effectively with people regardless of their backgrounds, personal histories, and household composition, and be willing and able to engage people on the streets, in their homes, and in our service facility.
- Provide direct outreach services to people who are sleeping on the streets of Multnomah County. Outreach is defined as going to parks, bridge viaducts, forested areas, and other locations where people camp
- Facilitate access to external services like employment, health care, and/or addiction treatment
- Visit tenants and build relationships with landlords to provide housing stabilization
Successful candidates will have:
- Experience with and/or knowledge of homelessness, its causes, and barriers to ending it
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to engage people through JOIN’s relationship model
- Driver’s license,their own personal vehicle, and the ability to operate a vehicle, including larger cargo and moving style vehicles
- Additional language skill – Spanish and or ASL
- Required to lift and carry up to 50 lbs. with frequent bending and kneeling as well as standing for long periods and routinely climbing and descending stairs
- Employment conditional upon results of criminal background screening.
Read more here:: Idealist