Posted by: National Geographic Society
Washington, DC, US
This position is responsible for generating sales of merchandise in the retail store. Providing outstanding customer focused service resulting in multiple unit sales, high dollar volume per transaction and customer loyalty. Provide all internal and external customers with a professional and pleasant shopping experience and to support the activities required to achieve sales/expense objectives, exceptional customer service and visual excellence. To meet National Geographic organizational goals and the enhancement of the National Geographic brand. To represent National Geographic’s traditional standard of excellence and organizational policies and procedures, to protect National Geographic’s assets.
- Sales and Customer Service: Greet customer upon entrance to store, offer to assist them in finding product, close the sale and make sure the customer has the best experience possible in the store. Acknowledge each customer upon store entry and engage the customer within the first three minutes of their presence in the store. Provide product knowledge and assistance in fulfilling customer needs. Assist with customer concerns regarding product, returns, special orders, and/or complaints. Promptly process all sale transactions. Work under philosophy of “the customer is always right.” (30%)
- Sales Generation: Achieve store sales and expense objectives by providing a superior level of customer service in a professional environment; physical presence on the sales floor for 90% of the total working hours. (20%)
- Operations and Loss Prevention: Open and close register actions each day. Reconcile sales transactions for settlement reports at the end of each workday. Actively protect the store assets, total compliance to the safety and security procedures of National Geographic. (20%)
- Product Knowledge and Merchandising: Develop and maintain a thorough knowledge of all National Geographic core products and all store products, as well as maintain a broad understanding of the other events associated with National Geographic divisions with a special focus on the museum’s exhibitions. Assist with the merchandising and replenishment of store product; assist with the price tagging of product. Stock organization and accountability, signage and overall cleanliness of the store and products. Work on floor moves and merchandise floor refits seasonally and as needed to ensure store looks its best and conforms to NG standards. Assist with all cycle counts and the complete yearly physical inventory. (20%)
- Being a proactive and vital member of the store team: Actively participate as a member of a team-oriented, positive and pro-active department. Share ideas with management to enhance both divisional and departmental growth. Exhibit professional, friendly and respectful attitude at all time. Comply with National Geographic and NG Store policies and procedures. (10%)
Minimum Education Required
High school degree
Minimum Years and Type of Experience
2 years previous work experience in a retail store environment.
Knowledge and Skills Required
– Microsoft Office, store POS system, and PeopleSoft experience a huge plus.
– Must have excellent telephone and customer service skills.
– Must be able to work weekends and evenings (for events.) Must be able to open and close register, process credit cards and cash and reconcile receipts at end of day.
– A positive customer focused attitude is essential.
Responsibility percentages may vary depending on business needs.
National Geographic’s headquarters is located in the heart of Washington, D.C. In addition to a unique and dynamic work environment, National Geographic offers its employees a comprehensive benefits package, including health and dental benefits, generous vacation and leave time, a 401(k) plan, and flexible work options.
Please visit our careers site at www.nationalgeographic.com/jobs to view this job as well as our full listing of career opportunities.
National Geographic is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Read more here:: Idealist