Posted by: Summit Public Schools
Redwood City, CA, US
Apply Online at: http://summitps.org/careers/join-our-team
The Senior Director of Onboarding and Engagement will work in close partnership with the Head of Basecamp and Basecamp leadership team to develop the strategy, processes and systems needed to onboard and engage a dedicated and energetic cohort of 100+ partner schools in 2016-2017. S/he will also use the experiences and feedback from our 100+ partner schools to propose the onboarding and engagement strategy and experiences for a much larger cohort of schools in 2017-2018.
S/he will lead and manage a team of 8 Program Managers “Mentors” that provide implementation, instructional and change management coaching to the cohort of Basecamp schools. S/he will identify pain points across the cohort and work with multiple stakeholders to develop scalable solutions to clear all barriers for implementation.
Given the start-up nature of the program, the Senior Director of Onboarding and Engagement will need to lead with flexibility and a growth mindset and establish processes and structures for rapid cycles of iteration and honest and actionable feedback.
As a part of the Basecamp leadership team, the Senior Director will also shape and lead on our program’s vision and goals, including how to scale Summit Basecamp with an eye towards excellence.
This position calls for a passionate and experienced professional with broad and deep experience in management, strategy, implementation and change management. This would be an ideal position for an individual passionate about decreasing the space between vision and implementation. We are looking for a self-starter who isn’t afraid to take initiative and dive deeply into a new role and team for a newly formed program. This position requires a team-oriented energetic professional who is comfortable working in a fast-paced environment, and with a strong willingness and desire to learn.
Who we are:
Summit Basecamp is a free program that provides teachers and schools across the U.S. with the resources they need to bring personalized learning into the classroom. This year, Summit Public Schools is working closely with 24 grade level teams in 19 schools across the country. Through Summit’s support and resources, and Facebook’s engineering expertise, this community of partner schools is exploring personalized learning and is adapting it to meet the specific needs of their individual school communities. As part of Summit Basecamp, grade level teams are also using the Personalized Learning Plan (PLP) tool as the backbone to their student’s experience.
Starting in June of 2016, we will welcome over 100 schools for the second cohort of Basecamp! If you’re interested in learning more, visit summitbasecamp.org or read our mid-year progress report. And, check out this article about the district and charter collaboration fostered by Summit Basecamp!
Summit Public Schools is a leading charter management organization serving diverse communities in the San Francisco Bay Area and Washington State with currently 10 schools serving over 2,400 students. Summit’s mission is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to not only attend, but succeed in, a four-year college or university. Driven by our unwavering commitment to our core values, Summit works every day to ensure our students are receiving a world-class education. We seek phenomenal individuals with the talents needed to transform children’s lives, as well as those who are interested in working on the cutting edge of education. If you’re excited by the prospect of transformative growth for yourself, as well as the students, schools, and communities we serve, Summit may be the place for you!
- 99 percent of Summit students have been accepted to one or more four-year colleges, and its graduates are completing college at double the national average
- Fast Company named Summit Public Schools atop 10 most innovative organization in education
- Our two flagship schools, Summit Prep and Everest, are named among US News & World Report’s Best High Schools of 2015, and also ranked among America’s Most Challenging High Schools by the Washington Post
Summary of Responsibilities:
- Lead the strategy and execution of onboarding and engaging 100+ Basecamp partner schools and 200 grade level teams across the country
- Lead and manage a team of 8 with an eye towards collaboration, growth mindset, continual improvement and data driven decision making
- Use data and feedback structures to inform the implementation support we provide to schools, with an eye towards building school and program partner’s capacity and with the goal to work the onboarding/engagement team “out of a job.”
- Identify pain points across the cohort we need to solve and work in collaboration with Summit and Facebook teams to identify solutions to pain points through the PLP tool, PD structures, curriculum and assessment, adult learning resources or program commitments for Cohort 3
- Lead 3 two-week onboarding Summer Trainings
1st week for school leaders and coaches (100 people)
2nd week for school leaders, coaches + teachers (500 people)
- Lead and execute on engagement support for 100+ schools including:
Virtual coaching – individual, small group
Spot partner schools visits
Quarterly 2-day convenings in regional hub cities
Communities of Practice virtual meet ups
- Work in close collaboration with the partnerships team to define the strategy and plan for building program partners capacity to implement their own onboarding and engagement structures in Cohort 3.
- Work in close collaboration with Director of Basecamp Special Events to coordinate the operations and logistics of all in-person convenings and trainings
Key Qualities and Skills:
- The fundamental belief that all children can succeed in college and life
- Deep commitment to continuous improvement
- Demonstrated leadership and ability to execute at scale in change management, professional development, implementation support
- Ability to manage groups through fast-paced iterative design cycles
- Strong management skills, with the ability to motivate, inspire, develop and collaborate with a diverse group of team members
- Expertise in instruction, curriculum, academic models and data-driven decision making
- Ability to focus on outcomes and think broadly and precisely about how to adjust structures to meet desired outcomes
- Proven ability to build and manage relationships with diverse stakeholders, including teachers, school leaders, district leaders, thought leaders and connectors in the K-12 landscape
- Ability to provide honest, actionable and timely feedback that results in improved performance
- Self starter who takes initiative to solve problems
- Strong analytic skills
- Outstanding communication skills
- BA or BS Degree or international equivalent
- Grad degree preferred
- Deep knowledge and passion for the needs of public schools and their students
- Deep awareness of innovations within the education field regarding personalized learning
- Demonstrated understanding of educational technology and personalized learning programs
- Prior experience leading a team
- Adept at solving problems that span education and technology
- Strong relationship management skills and ability to work well within and represent a global organization
- Strong analytical skills with an orientation for making data driven decisions.
- Proven ability to influence others without having positional authority
- Passion for spending time with partners in education, truly listening to them, understanding their challenges, and arriving at solutions that will work for their needs and provide scalable solutions
- Demonstrates flexibility, tenacity, resourcefulness, humility, and a growth mindset
Read more here:: Idealist