Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 06 Jun 2016
SPECIAL VACANCY NOTICE
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title : Site Supervisor (Building /Civil and Structural Engineer)
Duty Station : Kismayo, Somalia
Classification : General Service Staff, Grade G7/1 under 3rd Party Contractor
Type of Appointment : Short term, four (4) months with possibility of extension under Third Party Contract
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : June 6th, 2016
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM seeks to contract a suitably qualified individual with adequate building, civil and structural engineering qualifications to assist in the direct supervision of construction work in Kismayo, Somalia. The incumbent will be under the overall supervision of the Disarmament, Demobilisation and Reintegration (DDR) Coordinator and the direct supervision of the Field Officer, DDR. He/she will be responsible for the delivery of and accomplishment of the construction in compliance with laid out specifications. He/she will be in charge of the day to day management and supervision, ensuring the overall efficiency and effectiveness of activities undertaken to achieve timely delivery of infrastructures. The scope of work will include but not limited to:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
1. Supervise construction with the best professional and consulting standards to ensure that the building works are executed as per specifications.
2. Issue instructions to the contractor (s) and provide engineering supervision to the execution of works.
3. Ensure quality control through laboratory tests and other non-destructive tests at the expense of the contractor as may be required.
4. Make measurements of the work done as basis for facilitating payments to the contractor (s) at agreed stages of construction. Detailed measurements of the works shall however
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Page 2 / 4
be recorded jointly with the Contractor and get the same verified by the site supervisor as duplicate record and shall be attached with the Contractor’s bills.
5. Issue variation orders to the contractor(s) with IOM’s approval to be reviewed by IOM Project Engineer
6. Prepare periodical progress reports whose nature and frequency will be determined by IOM and reviewed for submission to the Field officer and DDR Coordinator. Maintain estimate and comparative statement of project costs and submit reports to IOM promptly.
7. Facilitate regular site meetings between the main contractor and sub-contractors including crisis meetings to resolve issues arising. Minutes to be shared with IOM for decision making and filing
8. In coordination with IOM, review and produce “As Built” drawings.
9. The engineer shall certify that works are executed as per approved design, drawings, standard specifications, technically sanctioned estimate and within the provisions of contract agreement for issuance of “certificate of practical completion”.
10. The engineer shall supervise the contractor in all matters concerning the environment and safety of the work and advise IOM on any problem arising in the construction work during its execution.
11. The engineer in consultation with IOM shall certify that the construction materials brought to site by the contractor(s) are in accordance with the specifications and are tested as per standard practices.
12. The reports in respect of receipt and test of materials shall be submitted to IOM.
13. The engineer shall check systematically the progress of work according to the construction schedule of the agreement and shall submit monthly progress report in the prescribed form to IOM pointing out the deficiencies and suggest remedial measures.
14. The engineer shall certify the contractor’s running payments clearly indicating that the quality of work executed is according to the specifications, design, drawings, technically sanctioned estimate and contract agreement and make recommendations for payment to the contractor along with test reports. The engineer shall further be responsible for quality and quantity of works executed.
15. The engineer shall keep the record of daily inspection reports in the prescribed forms at the site office and submit it to the IOM on weekly basis.
16. The engineer shall carry out detailed final inspection of the work and shall recommend to the client for issuance of completion certificate stating that the work has been completed as per design, drawings, standard specifications and contract agreement.
17. One month prior to the expiry of completion period, the engineer shall carry out a detailed final inspection of the work and submit a snag list report to the client pointing out the defects in the work, if any for rectification.
18. The engineer shall be responsible for getting all such defects rectified from the concerned contractor(s) and final payment of the contractor(s) recommended upon certification of the works.
19. IOM authorized representative may regularly visit the site for supervision of the engineer and the quality of work executed by the contractor and issue necessary instructions to the site supervisor or contractor(s) for proper execution of the work at site.
20. The engineer in coordination with IOM Project Engineer shall Plan, design and supervise the work of interior fittings as well as furnishing meeting the best standards.
21. Ensure adequate distribution of labour on site including skilled and unskilled labourers as well as availability of sufficient construction materials on site
22. Provide any additional technical advice to IOM that will help the successful completion of the project.
A. Expected Outputs
Page 3 / 4
In order to ensure successful implementation and achievement of IOM objectives, the engineer is expected to achieve the following outputs and results:
a) Provide on-site supervision of the construction works as per the building plans, such as site plan, floor plans, MEP layouts, civil works drawings and BOQ, in accordance with the needs of the clients and approved by appropriate authorities.
b) Regular monitoring of construction work and submission of written reports on the progress against the original Bills of Quantity, quality of work and issues identified.
c) Coordination of construction work conducted successfully including communication of IOM concerns, if any, to the contractor(s) and the beneficiary institutions. The communication with external parties kept on file.
d) Recommendations to IOM on any project variation orders for approvals
Technical advices to IOM and contractors provided.
Required Qualifications and Experience
a) Degree/Diploma in Architecture or Civil Engineering and experience in urban development and insecure, or post conflict environments;
a) A minimum of 4 years’ experience in the field of Architecture/Engineering especially infrastructure planning and construction, including management of infrastructure projects;
b) Ability to supervise, direct, coach and mentor staff, drive for results and effective resource management skills;
c) Excellent communication and negotiation skills. Understanding of complex social-political environments;
d) Ability to work under extreme pressure, in difficult conditions while maintaining security awareness;
e) Flexibility and focus on processes and their improvements. Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds;
f) Stamina, determination, commitment and adaptability in the workplace are required.
Fluency in English and Somali is required.
Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
Page 4 / 4
Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
How to apply:
Interested candidates should submit CV and a cover letter indicating the Vacancy Notice Number (SVN No) with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone) to: email@example.com
Closing Date: 6th June, 2016. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
From 24.05.2016 to 06.06.2016
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT