Posted by: Business for Social Responsibility
San Francisco, CA, US
BSR is a global nonprofit organization that works with its network of more than 250 member companies to build a just and sustainable world. From its offices in Asia, Europe, and North America, BSR develops sustainable business strategies and solutions through consulting, research, and cross-sector collaboration. Visit www.bsr.org for more information about BSR’s more than 20 years of leadership in sustainability.
We are proud to have a team of some of the industry’s most talented and motivated people working on sustainability in our global offices in Copenhagen, Guangzhou, Hong Kong, New York, Paris, San Francisco, Shanghai, and Tokyo.
The Associate Director, Sustainability Management will play a leading role in BSR’s Sustainability Management practice, which incorporates BSR’s approaches to strategy, corporate governance, stakeholder engagement, and sustainability reporting.
The Associate Director, Sustainability Management will work closely with the BSR team to create content, develop business opportunities, and deliver consulting and grant-funded projects that provide high value to BSR members and other leading companies that are interested in improving their sustainability performance. The Associate Director will receive direction and guidance from the two Directors overseeing the Sustainability Management Area of Expertise.
This position is full-time, based in New York or San Francisco, though Paris and Copenhagen will also be considered.
The Associate Director will play a leadership role in establishing a BSR point of view on the future of sustainability management, taking into consideration the ambition required to achieve BSR’s mission, lessons learned from 25 years of sustainability management practice, and emerging global business and sustainability trends. This should include the following, though for this position we are anticipating a focus on sustainability reporting and strategy:
- Methods for the integration of sustainability into business strategy
- Perspectives on the integration of sustainability into corporate governance, including board governance and the relationship with ethics, integrity, and anti-corruption
- A refreshed BSR materiality methodology, tool, and process
- Perspectives on the future of sustainability reporting and disclosure, including (but not limited to) integrated reporting and sector-based approaches
- Stakeholder engagement strategies, including perspectives on the creation of an inclusive economy, the future of multistakeholder initiatives, methods of collaboration, and the role of stakeholder engagement in value creation.
It is anticipated this will be achieved through a combination of project work with BSR member companies (about 50 percent of time) and the creation of new internal resources for use by the BSR team.
The Associate Director will also play a leadership role in bringing together BSR’s points of view on sustainability management into a package suitable for compelling communication with member companies and potential clients. This approach should include speaking engagements, publications, marketing collateral, and an overall go-to-market plan.
The Associate Director will receive direction and guidance from the two Directors overseeing the Sustainability Management Area of Expertise. The Associate Director will work with the Directors to enhance the capability of the BSR team to sell and implement sustainability management project engagements. Working together, this team will be responsible for:
- Training of staff
- Relationships with leading organizations in the sustainability management field
- Ongoing sharing of insights, publications, and cutting-edge thinking
- Development of partnerships with organizations complementary to BSR
Note: ONLY candidates with these specific requirements will be considered:
- Significant knowledge and experience in key sustainability management content areas and methodologies, such as reporting and disclosure, sustainability strategy, materiality, stakeholder engagement, ethics, governance, and integrity
- Knowledge and experience related to business processes such as strategic planning, organizational development, training programs, performance management, change management, etc.
- Significant business experience (at least 8-10 years), gained at a company, consulting firm, industry/trade association, and/or business-relevant civil society organization
- Proven leadership and people skills, including a demonstrated ability to mentor the skills and effectiveness of other team members
- Outstanding verbal, written, and facilitation skills
- Willingness to undertake business travel (up to 25 percent of the time).
- Language skills: Fluent in English. An additional language from a region in which BSR is based is an advantage.
- Capacity to work and thrive in a growing, fast-paced entrepreneurial organization with a collaborative environment
- High ethical standards and commitment to BSR core values of leadership, respect, and integrity
- Master’s degree in business, law, public policy, environmental management, or other relevant discipline is an advantage
BSR is committed to developing an inclusive work environment where diversity of thought, style, culture, and skill and is valued in support of individual performance and potential, as well as our business goals and mission.
Read more here:: Idealist