Posted by: The Cathedral Choir School of Delaware
Wilmington, DE, US
The Choir School of Delaware
719 N. Shipley Street | Wilmington, DE 19801
Phone: (302) 543-8657 | Fax: (302) 543-8679
Job Title: Director of Finance & Development (DFD)
The Choir School of Delaware (CSD), a 501(c)(3) organization, provides professional musical training, leadership development, academic support and mentoring in an intergenerational environment for youth in Wilmington, Delaware, and the surrounding region. Choir School staff and volunteers serve as advocates for these students to help guide them to success in academic, music and social endeavors.
The Director of Finance & Development (DFD) is responsible for the overall financial reporting and development initiatives of CSD. The DFD reports to the Director of Music and Operations (DMO) and works with the CSD Board Treasurer as necessary to perform the duties and responsibilities of this function. This Director shares supervisory duties with the Executive Staff in managing the Program Coordinator and Assistant Music Director.
The DFD provides information to and collaborates with the staff regarding operational finances, budgeting and ongoing fundraising efforts. The DFD seeks to create and sustain a culture of philanthropy in the organization; and to ensure annual and long-term revenue goals are met, including:
- Annual (scholarship) Fund
- Special Projects funding, choir tours, summer camp and capital projects (as needed)
- Endowment Fund
In Relation to Accounting, Financial and Treasury:
- Prepare and manage annual financial budget with the staff for Board approval.
- Prepare monthly financial reports for the staff and Board in conjunction with external accounting firm and can include Balance Sheet, Income Statements by month, year-to-date and program, analysis of actual results against budget and review of transactional data.
- Work with an external accounting firm to conduct annual financial review/audit, preparation of annual financial statements and annual 990 IRS filing. Present annual reports to DMO and CSD Board for review and approval. Ensure that IRS paperwork is completed and filed on time.
- Manage the Development Office budget.
- Ensure adequate corporate insurance coverage including property, auto and worker’s compensation.
- Manage accounting system and records (Quickbooks).
- Compile and maintain a listing of capital grants and expenditures.
- Prepare all bookkeeping entries for Accounts Payable and Revenue.
- Communicate Donor Perfect data to bookkeeper on a weekly basis.
- Manage payroll system and direct Assistant Music Director and other staff regarding payroll reporting procedures, forms and reports. Prepare payroll 2/month for ADP processing.
- Maintain payroll files and conduct background checks for staff, Choral Scholars and other personnel; share with staff as needed. Review and release annual 1099s and W-2s. File annual 1096 IRS report.
- Manage payments and records of employee 403b retirement benefits with Fidelity.
- Prepare annual worker’s compensation audit for insurance carrier.
- Manage annual renewal of employee benefits in conjunction with DMO including medical, dental and life and monthly payments to appropriate carriers.
- Create monthly cash flow statements and projections for DMO and Board to ensure adequate resources are available for continued CSD operation.
- Review bank statements and reconciliations of revenue/expenses monthly for all transactions.
In Relation to Development/Fundraising:
- Research and write grant proposals to local and national foundations. Seek input from staff and identify new funding sources. Provide timely preparation for adequate review and comment. Generate timely progress reports of activity.
- Research and provide prospect information to DMO and Board of Directors, arrange in-person cultivation visits where appropriate; arrange fundraising visits to individual, corporate and local government prospects as appropriate. Support Board members with any visits they undertake.
- Keep donors updated and informed of the impact of their gifts in a timely fashion.
- Manage donor database software and upkeep (Donor Perfect).
- Manage the Donor Perfect database and supervise Program Coordinator in entering gifts and thanking donors.
- Identify and cultivate donors to include CSD in their estate plans (Planned Giving).
- Create an annual/ongoing development plan in collaboration with the staff, including responsibilities for Board members. These efforts should advance the mission of CSD in our community.
- Communicate activities of CSD to business leaders, corporate and foundation representatives and government officials in an effort to advance the mission of CSD.
- Participate in Director’s Tours as scheduled.
- Projects: Annual Gala Concert, Fundraising Breakfast or other events, Thank You luncheon for special donors and annual “chapter” of program accomplishments for the CSD Annual Report.
- Prepare annual appeal letters to be personalized by the Board of Directors or other letters as requested by DMO.
- Manage and grow annual fundraising events.
- Oversee communications regarding printed newsletter and digital content to keep donors, friends and prospects of CSD informed about program activities and how their gifts are making a difference.
- Direct event publicity with Program Coordinator and/or Assistant Music Director.
- Oversee “Development Box” (promotional materials used when the Choir School travels or we have community events). Work with CSD staff to encourage parent/Board representation at our events.
In Relation to General Administrative:
1. Support the Staff as needed with ongoing activities and operational needs.
- Attend community events as a representative of CSD; participate in AFP (Assoc. of Fundraising Professionals) Brandywine Chapter events, trainings and networking opportunities.
- Attend appropriate meetings and seminars sponsored by DANA (Delaware Alliance for Non Profit Advancement) that advance CSD expertise and learning.
- Keep professional relationships active on behalf of CSD.
- BA/BS in Accounting, Finance or related Non-Profit Administration.
- CFRE certification preferred.
- 3-5 years of active/growing development leadership experience.
- Passion for the mission of CSD.
- Excellent written/oral communications skills.
- Highly organized and detail oriented.
- Experience managing a staff or team for special projects.
- Works well individually and in collaboration with the staff and Board of Directors.
Weekly Hours: 40 hours, 12 months, salaried with benefits
Read more here:: Idealist