Posted by: AFS-USA Intercultural Programs
New York, NY, US
AFS-USA is part of a worldwide network of AFS partner organizations that work together to advance global education and foster meaningful connections across cultures. As the network’s largest partner, AFS-USA works to increase the global competency of U.S. citizens by providing a variety of international and intercultural learning experiences to individuals, families, schools, and communities. We are proud of our Staff of approximately 200 dedicated individuals, working from our national office in New York City as well as home offices across the county, who collaborate with our more than 4,000 AFS-USA Volunteers to deliver high quality programs and global education resources. These include: immersion based study abroad experiences in over 40 countries worldwide; opportunities to host foreign AFS exchange students; and global learning workshops and curricula for educator, schools and businesses.
The Hosting Operations Coordinator is responsible for the screening of hosted student and host family applications.Responsibilities include screening of host students and host family applications to ensure adherence to AFS-USA’s acceptance criteria, AFS International standards and US Department of State Exchange Visitor regulations, as well as CSIET Standards; communications within AFS international network partners and among AFS-USA staff to ensure application review, completion and appropriate screening, and communication of placement details; maintenance of accurate records and database maintenance; conduct training for other staff; some supervision of seasonal staff; analysis and reporting and other duties as assigned.
Evening, weekend and seasonally variable work hours should be expected.Some travel will be required to conferences, meetings or training events. Opportunities for scheduling time off during peak season (July-September) are limited.
- Review student applications for completeness and compliance with relevant standards, regulations and acceptance criteria and determine eligibility of applicants.
- Coordinate with AFS network partners as needed to complete or provide additional information needed in order to determine eligibility of applicants and communicate final acceptance status to partners.
- Write brief biographical summaries for use in placement process.
- Coordinate with relevant staff within AFS-USA regarding withdrawals, specific situations, or requests, as needed.
- Review host family applications for completeness and compliance with relevant standards, regulations and acceptance criteria and determine eligibility of applicants.
- Follow up with host families as appropriate to ensure completeness of host family applications.
- Coordinate with relevant staff, volunteers and applicants to ensure completeness, obtain relevant clarification or additional screening steps as needed in order to determine eligibility of applicants.
Database Management and Process Improvement
- Contribute to risk management efforts by ensuring accuracy and integrity of data in compliance with U.S. Department of State regulations governing J-1 visa sponsors and AFS-USA Student Safety Policy.
- Create reports and analysis relevant to hosting operations in order to track progress on organizational goals, identify trends and/or improve processes.
- Collaborate with IT team and others to improve processes, online applications and reporting functionality
Training and Administration
- Conduct training related to host family and hosted participant screening for relevant staff
- Provide evaluative input as needed to enhance performance and contribute to process improvement
- Direct the work of seasonal staff and provide training and feedback as needed
- Provide excellent customer service to internal and external stakeholders
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in international, education, management or related areas or 5+ years of relevant work experience, preferably in the education or non-profit sectors
- Excellent interpersonal and intercultural communication skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Attention to detail while keeping the bigger context in mind
- Ability to navigate a fast-paced and demanding environment
- Customer service experience
- Training skills and experience
- Ability to evaluate changing circumstances adjust priorities as necessary
- Fluency in Microsoft office applications
SALARY AND BENEFIT:
We offer salary commensurate with experience and an excellent benefits package.
It is the policy AFS-USA to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, creed, ethnicity, national origin, alienage, citizenship status, age, marital status, partnership status, disability, sexual orientation, gender (sex), military status, unemployment status, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as permitted by law) predisposing genetic characteristics, or status as a victim of domestic violence, sexual offenses and stalking, and to maintain an environment free of harassment on any of the above-noted grounds, including sexual harassment or retaliation.
Read more here:: Idealist