Posted by: Williamsburg Charter High School
Brooklyn, NY, US
Teaching at Williamsburg Charter School:
The Williamsburg Charter High School unites youth, families, staff, teachers and the community at large in providing young people with the tools necessary to make sense of the world and prepares them in their journey to become skilled workers in and literate citizens of the world community.
Young people will accomplish this through their participation in a rigorous and demanding liberal arts education that includes language, literature, writing, science, history, mathematics, the arts, technology and explorations in disciplines designed to teach fairness, justice, respect and compassion for themselves and others as well as the skills of critical thinking, communication and research.
Williamsburg Charter High School (WCHS) is a high performing, public charter high school located in Brooklyn, New York. WCHS opened in August 2004 as the first Chancellor-authorized charter high school in the City of New York with a ninth grade class of 131 students. WCHS has grown to serve a little fewer than 1,000 students ranging from grades nine through twelve.
Our educational program enables every student to graduate well-prepared for college and the world beyond it. Most importantly, all WCHS students mature intellectually, socially and morally as a result of being an active member of a school community that endorses high expectations that challenge each student to achieve his/her full potential.
In order to fulfill its mission, WCHS is looking for exceptional teachers. Our teachers play critical roles in realizing the core mission, philosophy, and unique youth-centered approach of the school’s educational design.
Teachers at WCHS:
- Believe ALL students can learn and ensure ALL students are college and/or career ready
- Coach young people to become independent learners, thinkers and researchers
- Increase student engagement through collaborative learning
- Use data and assessments to inform and drive instruction
- Value collaboration and share a collegial spirit
- Benefit from mentoring, feedback and evaluation on teaching practices
- Are encouraged to reach professional growth plans
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensure high academic standards are set for and met by all students
- Collaborate with other teachers to provide rigorous, standards-based learning to students
- Use student performance data derived from teacher-created and standardized assessments to drive instructional decision-making
- Experience working in an urban school setting
- An ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with colleagues and co-teachers
- Bachelor’s degree in education or a related field and NYS certification
- 2+ years of lead classroom teacher experience (excludes student teaching and serving as a teaching assistant)
- Experience with planning and/or teaching high school curriculum aligned with Common Core standards and driven by data
Read more here:: Idealist