Posted by: Mission Economic Development Agency SF
San Francisco, CA, US
Mission Economic Development Agency (MEDA) – Rooted in the Mission and focused on San Francisco, MEDA’s mission is to strengthen low- and moderate-income Latino families by promoting economic equity and social justice through asset building and community development.
MEDA is advancing strategies to create asset building opportunities for San Francisco’s Latino families and in the Mission District through: (1) our core, integrated Asset Building Programs related to housing, financial capability, workforce development, business development and tax preparation; (2) serving as a backbone agency to advance educational achievement and family economic success through the Mission Promise Neighborhood 2-generation approach; (3) creating and preserving affordable housing and commercial real estate in the Mission District through Community Real Estate; (4) providing access to capital and innovative financial products through the Adelante Fund; and (5) Policy & Advocacy efforts that support our mission.
We are seeking a Resident Engagement Specialist to serve as the onsite contact for residents at the two buildings during the pre-ownership, relocation and construction phases of comprehensive property rehabilitation. MEDA and Bridge Housing are jointly acquiring and rehabilitating two senior buildings in the Mission which are currently owned by the San Francisco Housing Authority. As joint-owner, MEDA is responsible for overseeing relocation and tenant engagement. The Resident Engagement Specialist will be under MEDA’s supervision as part of the real estate development team for these buildings.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (Essential Functions):
- Serve as the primary point of contact for residents with regard to the relocation, construction and all other activities related to the property rehabilitation with language support.
- Assist with coordination of all activities related to relocation including pest treatment, packing and moving while keeping the residents informed and engaged throughout the process.
- Manage incoming calls, emails and in person communication with residents, which includes responding to standard inquiries with language support.
- Assist in on-site communications between residents and the teams involved in real estate development, relocation, services, construction and property management of the building.
- Assist in the development of communication protocols, including privacy policies, to facilitate effective, timely communication between residents, relocation consultants, services staff, property management and pest treatment representatives.
- Assist with planning and coordination of monthly Rehab and Relocation Update Tea Times with residents to share progress of transition in ownership and construction rehabilitation. This includes gathering resident concerns and responses with in-language support and preparing materials for Tea Times.
- Engage with property Tenant Councils to share progress of transition in ownership and construction rehabilitation.
- Assist with the transition in ownership by consistently communicating with residents. For more complex inquiries, use judgment and knowledge to assess when to make referrals or engage members of the Social Services, Property Management and/or Relocation teams with in-language support.
- Attend and actively participate in weekly onsite construction meetings with in-language support.
- Coordinate language support for communications with limited-English speaking residents as needed.
- Assist with referral of contacts with residents’ family members solely as it pertains to the relocation and construction processes and provide language support.
- Help coordinate pest inspections and treatment of apartments prior to temporary relocation and prior to residents’ return to permanent housing.
- Assist in creating a welcoming and well-organized apartment property.
Supervision is provided by Project Manager of Mission/Castro cluster Phase II team with indirect supervision by Director of Community Real Estate. Position requires ability to perform with minimal supervision.
No direct reports. May monitor and coordinate the work of the relocation team and moving vendors.
Qualifications & Skills:
Education: High school education or equivalent
Experience: A minimum of three years resident engagement experience in a residential property setting. Ideal candidate might have exposure to construction rehabilitation in residential properties.
Skills: Strong interpersonal skills and facility with both telephone and in-person contacts. Strong organizational and time-management skills, including ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously. Ability to work as a team member in collaboration with Social Services, Property Management, Development staff and the Relocation consultant. Proficiency in Word and Excel. Ability and commitment to deal with confidential information and/or issues using discretion and judgment. Fluency in spoken and written Spanish, Russian and/or Mandarin a plus. Ability to provide written and spoken translation services.
Education: College degree or equivalent experience.
Skills: Fluency in spoken and written Spanish, Russian and/or Mandarin a plus. Ability to provide written and spoken translation services.
Experience with human service programs, specifically serving seniors from diverse backgrounds.
Read more here:: Idealist