Posted by: Los Angeles Youth Network (LAYN)
Los Angeles, CA, US
Reports to: Supervisor on Duty (Director, Facility Manager, shift Supervisor)
Purpose:The Youth Engagement Specialist (Y.E.S) will be responsible to create a safe, engaging and caring environment for our youth and will facilitate the day to day services offered in the milieu for the Los Angeles Youth Network. Services will include engagement, life skills and leading youth day-to-day activities and interventions. The Y.E.S team member will engage the youth with individual and group skills building activities: healthy recreation and empowerment . The Y.E.S Team member will be responsible for helping youth learn and practice skills while also relating with their peers and their community using healthy communication skills and to ensure that all individual needs are being met and are provided in accordance with the Los Angeles Youth Network mission statement, Value Statement, Code of Conduct and LAYN Policies and Procedures.
Responsibilities & Duties:
- Establish healthy relationships with youth that encourage positive social and emotional development, create healthy and on-going support systems.
- Foster engagement with youth for a more significant youth participation outside of the program and/ or program itself
- Involve, monitor and empower youth participants in generating community and sense of ownership within the Programs.
- Support youth generated activities, lead group and recreational activities.
- Provide facilitation or co-facilitation for groups that build skills in a variety of areas; including self-sufficiency, employment readiness, education, health (physical and emotional), and social/communication.
- Provide support for youth to accomplish the goals identified in their treatment plan, safety Plan or Individual Service Plan.
- Provide crisis counseling services to youth as needed
- Minor housekeeping tasks are completed on an as needed basis
- Youth Engagement Specialist should engage, teach and attempt to make it a learning experience with room cleaning on a daily basis or as per individual program plan.
- Responsible for teaching, assisting, supervising, and praising any and all efforts made regarding youth accomplishments in our programs.
- Work collaboratively with youth to address their full range of needs.
- Manage crisis and provide service intervention as needed.
- Support and advocate for enrichment and education groups
- Maintain accurate case records. This includes daily logs, progress notes, and other necessary data
- Participate in appropriate transition meetings on a daily basis
- Ensure that all emergency procedures are followed per facility policy
- Support and promote positive teamwork with fellow staff employed with LAYN programs, and to maintain professional relationships with other providers
- Provide awake nightly activities and supervision in the facilities if you are working the overnight shift.
- Administer and handle all medications according to current state regulations
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be 21 years old
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or related field preferred
- 1-2 years working with vulnerable youth in numerous settings preferred
- Ability to de-escalate youth in crisis situations.
- Demonstrated skills working with youth in individual and group settings.
- Demonstrated commitment to youth participation and involvement
- Superior communication, organization and interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to ongoing professional development.
- Ability to serve as a role model for youth with appropriate boundaries.
- Creativity, flexibility, Innovation, optimism, and positive humor.
- Experience working as part of a team, while also demonstrating initiative and ability to work independently.
- Satisfactorily fulfill the requirements for employment at the Los Angeles Youth Network, i.e. references, physical examination, criminal records clearance, etc.
- Certificates/Licenses: Valid CA Driver’s License (must pass insurance underwrites)
Disclaimer: The preceding job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this job. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as an exhaustive or comprehensive list of all possible job responsibilities, tasks, and qualifications required of employees to this job. Los Angeles Youth Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Read more here:: Idealist