Organization: UN Development Programme
Closing date: 17 Aug 2016
UNDP Afghanistan Mission statement:
UNDP supports stabilization, state building, governance and development priorities in Afghanistan. UNDP support, in partnership with the Government, the United Nations system, the donor community and other development stakeholders, has contributed to institutional development efforts leading to positive impact on the lives of Afghan citizens. Over the years UNDP support has spanned such milestone efforts as the adoption of the Constitution; Presidential, Parliamentary and Provincial Council elections; institutional development through capacity-building to the legislative, the judicial and executive arms of the state, and key ministries, Government agencies and commissions at the national and subnational levels. UNDP has played a key role in the management of the Law and Order Trust Fund, which supports the Government in developing and maintaining the national police force and in efforts to stabilize the internal security environment. Major demobilization, disarmament and rehabilitation and area-based livelihoods and reconstruction programmes have taken place nationwide. UNDP Programmes in Afghanistan have benefited from the very active support of donors. UNDP Afghanistan is committed to the highest standards of transparency and accountability and works in close coordination with the United Nations Mission in Afghanistan and the UN system as a whole to maximize the impact of its development efforts on the ground.
The Institutional and Capacity Support to the Parliament of Afghanistan Project (ICSPA 2014-2019) represents the next phase helping build resilient and representative governance systems in the Parliament of Afghanistan.
The Project builds upon the lessons learned from UNDP’s SEAL I “Support for an Effective Afghan Legislature” project, which ran from 2008‐2010, and its successor project, SEAL II. ICSPA is undertaken in support of UNDAF 5/Country Programme Outcome 1: “Improved legitimate, transparent and inclusive governance at all levels that enables progressive realization of human rights” and Sustainable Development Goal 16: “Peace, justice and strong institutions”.
Project Outcome: Citizen expectations for voice, development, the rule of law and accountability are met by stronger representative systems.
Output 1: Secretariats are strengthened to support law-making and oversight functions, including committee management, legislative and policy research, and plenary.
Output 2: Finance, Procurement, Auditing, and Human Resources capacity of Secretariats is strengthened to better manage resources and provide effective support to operational functions.
Output 3: Representative role reinforced through support for improved communication and outreach capacities.
Output 4: Capacity of Parliament’s leadership to undertake reforms enhanced.
Under the guidance of the ICSPA Chief Technical Adviser and in collaboration with the International Technical Specialist, the National Technical Specialist is responsible for working in close partnership with National Assembly of Afghanistan leadership and staff to support them in instituting reforms, implementing activities, delivering outputs and achieving outcomes.
Summary of key functions:
- Ensure support for timely implementation of activities and delivery of outputs;
- Ensure the preparation of delivery plans based on realistically achievable and sustainable interventions;
- Ensure ongoing advisory support to the parliamentary leadership and Secretaries General for sustainable institutional development;
- Ensure support for M&E data collection and inputs for high-quality reporting;
- Ensure support to coordination with other development partners.
Ensure support for timely implementation of activities and delivery of outputs
- Work in close partnership with Parliament of Afghanistan secretariat staff in both Houses to support the timely implementation of project activities and delivery of outputs while assuring sustainability of all actions;
- Support consultants and experts deployed to work with parliament secretariat staff to deliver high-quality and sustainable results that are owned by the parliament and not consultant or partner driven;
- Lead the coordination and organization of all project related capacity building activities in parliamentary secretariat departments;
- Support collaboration between parliament staff and government as well as other national and international partners related to project activity delivery as appropriate;
- Coordinate and assure synergies wherever possible with activities of other non-UNDP and UNDP projects to increase project impact.
Ensure the preparation of delivery plans based on realistically achievable and sustainable interventions
- Based on the National Assembly of Afghanistan’s Reform Action Plan, work closely with National Assembly of Afghanistan staff in both Houses to identify realistically achievable activities critical to sustainable institutional capacity development for annual project planning;
- Ensure the preparation of timely annual and quarterly outline delivery plans, including budgets, based on realistically achievable and sustainable activities from the Parliament of Afghanistan’s Reform Action Plan;
- Work with parliament secretariat staff in both Houses to continually review and update their departmental Reform Action Plan to ensure it remains a living document;
- Coordinate research and any parliament department needs assessment that may be required for certain activities or future programming;
- Support the preparation of technical terms of reference for all consultants/experts to support activities;
- Ensure all terms of reference for the recruitment of consultants and experts are reviewed and approved by the relevant heads of parliament departments; as well as that all technical specifications for the procurement of goods are reviewed and approved by the relevant departments to ensure compatibility, sustainability and avoid duplication to prevent the waste of limited resources.
Ensure ongoing advisory support to the parliamentary leadership and the Secretaries General for sustainable institutional development
- Build strong and trusting relationships with the parliamentary leadership, Secretaries General, Heads of Departments and National Assembly of Afghanistan staff towards supporting their efforts to implement sustainable reforms;
- Under the guidance and leadership of the Chief Technical Adviser, support efforts to guide the leadership in adopting and instilling international best practices for democratic legislatures;
- Work closely with the heads of all secretariat departments in both Houses to identify and document bottlenecks to implementing reforms and assist the Chief Technical Adviser to communicate these to the leadership and Secretaries General towards overcoming them.
Ensure support for M&E including data collection and inputs for high-quality reporting
- Facilitate the implementation, data collection and compilation of annual parliament staff surveys as well as the preparation of related reports for the parliamentary leadership. This will include summaries and analyses;
- Support the international Technical Advisers in developing an M&E framework to measure institutional development capacity changes in Parliament of Afghanistan secretariat departments and directorates;
- Support the international Technical Advisers in collecting M&E data. Prepare narratives for quarterly and annual project reports, including bi-weekly documentation of risks, issues and sustainability concerns;
- Prepare meeting agendas, minutes and other required documentation.
Ensure support to National Assembly of Afghanistan coordination with other development partners
- Facilitate the National Assembly of Afghanistan’s organization of development partner meetings to ensure the alignment of partner interventions with the Parliament’s priorities, prevent duplication and ensure sustainability;
- Support the Department of International Affairs and Relations staff in both Houses to maintain updated information on partner plans and interventions, including alignment with the Parliament’s Reform Action Plan;
- Prepare briefs as required;
- Undertake other duties as assigned by the Chief Technical Adviser.
Impact of Results:
The key results have an impact on the overall effectiveness and success of UNDP’s interventions and activities in achieving the country’s development and the SDGs. Successful implementation of Project activities, as well as efficient management of the implementation process, enhances the organization’s capacity and credibility in execution of highly effective Projects with strong impact.
Effective planning and implementation of Project activities and positive relationship management will strengthen UNDP’s position as a strong and reliable development partner and increase satisfaction on the part of development partners in the country.
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the UN’s values and ethical standards;
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of UNDP;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Analytical skills including presentation of analysis for decision-making and knowledge sharing;
- Strong communication skills (written, spoken, composing, presentation) and ability to share expertise for capacity building;
- Political and cultural sensitivity and commitment to UNDP’s development objectives in the country.
- Effectively networks with partners seizing opportunities to build alliances;
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners;
- Displays initiative, sets challenging outputs for him/herself and willingly accepts new work assignments.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
In-depth knowledge of own discipline
- Understands advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Continues to seek new and improved methods and systems for accomplishing the work;
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Continually looking for ways to enhance performance in the office.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to contribute to strategic planning;
- Ability to lead formulation, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development Projects and projects, and mobilize resources;
- Ability to constructively contribute to formulating and managing budgets.
Management and Leadership
- Builds strong relationships with clients, focuses on impact and result for the client and responds positively to feedback;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude;
- Demonstrates excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
- A Master degree or Bachelor degree in public administration, governance, law, political science, development studies, economics, or other related social sciences from an accredited university.
- At least 5 years of work experience with a Master’s Degree and 7 years with a Bachelor’s degree, including at a senior advisory level, in the area of democratic governance, public administration, the judiciary or as a legal advisor;
- Demonstrated technical knowledge in the field of democratic governance, parliamentary affairs, political and social development;
- Previous experience working effectively with the National Assembly of Afghanistan would be a strong advantage;
- Prior experience in governance or judiciary related projects is desirable;
- Previous experience/familiarity with UNDP or other UN agencies is desirable;
- Experience working in post-conflict or transitioning environments required;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills as well as organizational capacity;
- Excellent analytical skills;
- Experience working in multi-cultural teams;
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Office.
- Fluent verbal and written English, Dari and Pashto.
Female candidates are highly encouraged to apply
How to apply:
Interested candidates are requested to apply via following link https://jobs.partneragencies.net/erecruitjobs.html?JobOpeningId=5118
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT