|Entity:||European Investment Bank|
|Deadline:||Wednesday 14th September 2016|
The EIB, the European Union’s bank, is seeking to recruit for its Operations Directorate (OPS) – Global Partners and Neighboring Countries Departments – Project Finance Division, at its headquarters in Luxembourg, a:
Loan Officer – Project Finance and Guarantees
The post is linked to the Cotonou Partnership.
This is a full time position
The term of this contract will be 3 years
The EIB offers fixed-term contracts of up to a maximum of 6 years, according to business needs, with a possibility to convert to a permanent contract, subject to organisational requirements and individual performance.
To carry out EIB project finance (PF) and guarantee operations in the regions covered by the Global Partners and Neighbouring Countries Departments (focusing on Sub-Sahara Africa, Northern Africa and the Middle East, Asia, Latin America, and Eastern Europe/CIS), taking end to end responsibility for their identification, appraisal, negotiation, approval and follow-up until first disbursement. To provide input to the strategy development process for EIB project finance and guarantee operations in assigned countries, in line with Departmental objectives and guidelines, across the regions in line with the partnership referred above until December 2020.
Reports to the Head of Division and cooperates closely with colleagues working in the regions, from both Luxembourg and the regional offices. He/she will also cooperate closely with colleagues in other Directorates, notably in Projects (PJ), Legal (JU), Risk Management (RM), Transaction Management and Restructuring (TMR), Finance (FI) and Compliance (OCCO).
The post requires the ability and willingness to travel extensively.
- Evaluate, at an early stage, the quality of potential projects and their chance of success, by consulting, where appropriate, internally, including with the Bank’s technical experts (engineers, sector economists, and social and environmental experts, risk management, compliance office and legal department);
- Evaluate the credit and project risk of proposed operations including leading and coordinating the work of external advisers (including legal, technical, insurance) and the EIB project team
- Take end to end responsibility for the identification, appraisal, approval and signature of suitable projects. Negotiate and review contractual documentation.
- Follow closely PF/PPP transactions until first disbursement, overseeing the transfer to the Transaction Management and Restructuring Directorate, and, after that point, providing support to the responsible monitoring team where required;
- Mobilise and manage Technical Assistance or other types of Grant Funding (including from the blending instruments available from the EC) required to develop and/or enhance the structure of PF operations;
- In coordination with the Global Partners and Neighbouring Countries Departments, establish and develop business relations with key external parties (e.g. investors, banks, ECAs, government representatives, local authorities, EU bodies, and IFIs/DFIs) in order to develop the project pipeline, build co-operation and stay abreast of best practice in Project Finance/PPP development
- Implement policies and initiatives in lending and guarantee operations and make suggestions to improve key operational processes;
- Participate in initiatives that go beyond the boundaries of the lending/investment domain, such as intra-directorate working groups
- University degree, ideally in Finance/ Economics or a business related discipline
- Minimum 3 years’ professional experience in project finance
- Experience in the area of guarantees (political risk and/or partial credit guarantees) and/or structured finance would be an advantage
- Good knowledge of financial and cash flow analysis as well as proven experience in credit risk assessment and financial modelling
- Experience in working in developing countries or demonstrated interest in development
- Excellent knowledge of English, French (*) and/or Spanish.
- Excellent team worker
- Self-starter with developed marketing skills
- Strong analytical skills and ability to make sound judgements
- Excellent communication skills both oral and written (ability to produce clear and concise reports)
- Strong project management skills and ability to manage a multiple of projects at various stages of due diligence
- Strong negotiating skills and ability to master complex legal and other documentation
- Diplomatic skills and ability to manage direct contacts with clients and government officials often at a senior level
(*) There may be certain flexibility on this requirement, but limited to particularly suitable candidates who may not yet be proficient in French. If selected, such candidates will be hired on the condition that they build up rapidly knowledge of French and accept that their future career in the EIB may be subject to the attainment of sufficient proficiency in both of the Bank’s working languages
Deadline for applications: 14th September 2016
We believe that Diversity is good for our people and our business. We promote and value diversity and inclusion among our staff and candidates; irrespective of their gender, age, nationality, race, culture, education and experience, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or disability
Read more here:: EIB