Organization: UN Children’s Fund
Country: South Sudan
Closing date: 09 Aug 2016
CANADEM is seeking interested Canadian citizens or Canadian permanent residents with previous relevant experience available for an immediate deployment to South Sudan as a seconded expert with UNICEF for a 3-months contract.
Armed fighting between factions of the South Sudanese Army which started on Friday 8 July 2016 in the Capital Juba has resulted in heavy casualties and mass displacement of people. Over 200 people, including civilians were killed during the fighting while up to 36,000 people (mainly children and women) have been newly displaced from their homes and are now camped in the UN compounds, schools and places of worship in Juba City.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Oversee partnerships that are delivering child protection in emergency services, including family tracing and reunification, psychosocial support and mine risk education.
- Provide technical support to implementing partners through face to face and remote means, including providing coaching and mentoring and the promotion of compliance with agreed minimum standards and international best practice.
- Undertake field monitoring visits to review partnerships which are delivering child protection programmes. During these visits, end user supply monitoring and an assessment of progress against the logframe will be conducted, technical assistance will be provided to address any immediate challenges or bottlenecks; and upon return, contribute to the field and country office child protection teams efforts to support strategic shifts in programme design and/or amendments to the Programme Cooperation Agreements
- Participate in rapid response missions or other temporary direct service delivery action, as required. Responsibilities will include the identification and registration of separated and unaccompanied children; establishing basic psychosocial support programmes and the delivery of key prevention messaging.
- Contribute to child protection policy development through participation in team, sub-cluster and thematic working group meetings, technical review of policy and strategy documents and facilitating knowledge sharing amongst child protection actors
- Participate in inter-agency rapid assessments (leading or supporting the rapid child protection assessment), together with partners in the child protection working group and/or protection cluster using the agreed inter-agency assessment tools, as required
- Support overall programme management, including overseeing grants management, PCA management and other internal work processes.
- Workplan developed and approved during the first week of every month.
- Monthly progress reports against this workplan.
SELECTION CRITERIA AND MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
- Masters in Social Sciences or relevant child protection field
- Minimum of eight years experience in the development, implementation and monitoring of child protection in emergencies programmes
- Experience in working in coordination roles
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
The incumbent is expected to perform the above functions under difficult working conditions, related to office accommodation, procedures, workload, mobility, and institutional and personal safety. There is limited access to health care and recreational facilities, and this is compounded by long working hours and potentially stressful conditions.
How to apply:
If you have all of the above-mentioned skills, please register with CANADEM before contacting us. This can be done on our website at www.canadem.ca/register. Then send an email to pantiwa.naksomboon@CANADEM.ca by no later than Aug.9th, 11:59 pm EDT. Please include in the Subject Line: “Child Protection Specialist-P3/P4-South Sudan.” In your email, please include an updated resume, date of availability, your current location, and a phone number where we can reach you. Please also forward blank referee questionnaire that can be found at www.canadem.ca/rqf to two of your references (recent supervisors preferred). Full instructions on how to complete the forms are included in the document; also please send us any evaluation report you might have concerning your field work. We will be considering applications as they are received.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT