Organization: UN Children’s Fund
Country: Syrian Arab Republic
Closing date: 16 Aug 2016
Nutrition Officer,NO-B, Damascus (Re-advertisement)
Apply now Job no: 498278
Work type: Fixed Term Staff
Location: Syrian Arab Republic
Categories: Nutrition, NO-2
Purpose for the job: The Nutrition Officer reports to the Nutrition Specialist for supervision. The Officer provides professional technical, operational and administrative assistance throughout the programming process for the nutrition programs/projects within the Country Program from development planning to delivery of results, preparing, executing, managing and implementing a variety of technical and administrative program tasks to facilitate program development, implementation, and program progress monitoring, evaluating and reporting of results.
Main tasks & responsibilities:
1.**Support to program development and planning**
- Conduct/update situation analysis for the program sector/s for development, design and management of nutrition related programs/projects. Research and report on development trends (e.g. political social, economic, nutrition, health) for higher management use to enhance program management, efficiency and delivery of results.
- Contribute to the development/establishment of sectoral program goals, objectives and strategies and results-based planning through analysis of nutrition needs and areas for intervention and submission of recommendations for priority and goal setting.
- Provide technical and operational support throughout all stages of programming processes by executing/administering a variety of technical program transactions, preparing materials/documentations and complying with organizational processes and management systems, to support program planning, results based planning (RBM) and monitoring and evaluating results.
- Prepare required documentations/materials to facilitate the program review and approval process.
2.**Program management, monitoring and delivery of results.**
Work closely and collaboratively with internal and external colleagues and partners to discuss operational and implementation issues, provide solutions, recommendations and/or alert appropriate officials and stakeholders for higher-level intervention and/or decision. Keep record of reports and assessments for easy reference and/or to capture and institutionalize lessons learned.
Participate in monitoring and evaluation exercises, program reviews and annual reviews with government and other counterparts to assess programs/projects and to report on required action/interventions at the higher level of program management.
Monitor and report on the use of sectoral program resources (financial, administrative and other assets), verify compliance with approved allocation/goals, organizational rules, regulations/procedures and donor commitments, standards of accountability and integrity. Report on issues identified to ensure timely resolution by management/stakeholders. Follow up on unresolved issues to ensure resolution.
Prepare regular/mandated sectoral program/project reports for management, donors and partners to keep them informed of program progress.
Technical and operational support to program implementation
Conduct regular program field visits and surveys and/or exchange information with partners/stakeholders to assess progress and provide technical support, take appropriate action to resolve issues and/or refer to relevant officials for resolution. Report on critical issues, bottlenecks and potential problems for timely action to achieve results.
Provide technical and operational support to government counterparts, NGO partners, UN system partners and other country office partners/donors on the application and understanding of UNICEF policies, strategies, processes and best practices on nutrition and related issues to support program implementation, operations and delivery of results.
4.**Networking and partnership building**
- Draft communication and information materials for CO program advocacy to promote awareness, establish partnership/alliances and support fund raising for nutrition programs.
- Build and sustain effective close working partnerships with nutrition sector government counterparts and national stakeholders through active sharing of information and knowledge to facilitate program implementation and build capacity of stakeholders to achieve program goals and social justice, equity and rights of mothers, newborn and children.
- Participate in appropriate inter-agency (UNCT) meetings/events on programming to collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNDAF operational planning and preparation of nutrition programs/projects and to integrate and harmonize UNICEF position and strategies with the UNDAF development and planning process.
- Research information on potential donors and prepare resource mobilization materials and briefs for fund raising and partnership development purposes.
5.**Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building**
- Identify, capture, synthesize and share lessons learned for knowledge development and to build the capacity of stakeholders.
Apply innovative approaches and promote good practice to support the implementation and delivery of concrete and sustainable program results.
Research, benchmark and report on best and cutting edge practices for development planning of knowledge products and systems.
Participate as resource person in capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies of clients/stakeholders.
Education: A University Degree or higher in nutrition, public health, nutritional epidemiology, global/international health and nutrition, health/nutrition research, policy and/or management, health sciences, nutritional epidemiology or other health related science field is required.
Experience: A minimum of 2 years of professional experience in nutrition, public health, nutrition planning and management and/or in relevant areas of maternal, infant and child health/nutrition care at the international level and/or in a developing country is required. Experience in health/nutrition program/project development in UN system agency or organization is an asset.
Languages: Fluency in English and Arabic.
Competencies & Level of proficiency required:
- Diversity and inclusion
- Communication (II)
- Working with people (I)
- Drive for results (I)
- Formulating strategies and concepts (I)
- Analyzing (II)
- Applying technical expertise ((II)
- Learning and researching (II)
- Planning and organizing (II)
Advertised: 03 Aug 2016 FLE Standard Time
Applications close: 16 Aug 2016 FLE Standard Time
How to apply:
To apply, follow the below link:http://jobs.unicef.org/cw/en-us/#/job/498278/nutrition-officernob-damascus-readvertisement
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT