Posted by: Big Brothers Big Sisters of New York City
New York, NY, US
We are seeking a STEM Specialist to provide a structured and engaging introduction to the active use of technology to our students. The ideal candidate will be able to expose students to available technologies and programming through a designed curriculum which leads to student showcase. The STEM Specialist must be able to motivate and maintain the interest of students while setting a positive example.
- Plan, organize, develop, and implement STEM activities with Group Leader and guidance form Education Specialist
- Design curriculum based on the use of the stop motion animation/ claymation, digital camera/ camcorder, Lego mindstorm, Minecraft, science experiments, etc
- Engage a group of 15- 20 students in a curriculum exploring Science Technology Engineering or Math as tools for project based learning
- Provide opportunities for participants to showcase their progress, accomplishments, projects, etc
- Enter and coach students into First Lego League (Robotics) and other local competitions
- Supervises study lab session as well as students during transitions
- Maintain participant attendance via sign-in sheets
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Associates’ Degree required
- 2+ years experience with game based learning (Lego Mindstorms EV3, Minecraft, Scratch etc)
- Experience writing curriculum outline and lesson plans
- Strong time-management skills and ability to work efficiently and effectively in a deadline-driven, fast-paced environment
- Grant funded position; school year position that ends in late June and can be restarted at end of summer pending work performance during previous year
HOW TO APPLY:
Please submit your resume and cover letter to email@example.com . In the subject please put “STEM Activity Specialist”. Resumes without cover letters will NOT be reviewed. No phone calls please.
Big Brothers Big Sisters of NYC is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, gender, age, veteran status, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status or disability with respect to employment opportunities. EO/AA Employer.
Read more here:: Idealist