Organization: Save the Children
Closing date: 22 Sep 2016
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with c15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Contract length: 6 months
The role of the Senior Manager is to lead the development and implementation of a national Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning strategy for Save the Children Afghanistan. In order to achieve this, the role will lead a central team and provide internal support and capacity building to implementation teams to roll out the strategy across the country programme.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
1 Lead the implementation of a national Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) strategy and contribute to Save the Children’s overall country strategy.
2 Design, manage and/or support research to improve effectiveness of programmes, innovation, and to contribute to internal and external learning.
3 Participate in developing the country strategy 2016-2018.
4 Collaborate with donors on request for research and studies on Aid Effectiveness.
5 Lead internal capacity building for MEAL including the development and provision of trainings and mobilising internal and external capacity-building opportunities.
6 Contribute to design of projects through proposal development, particularly through Logical Framework development, to ensure high quality standards are set, measurable outcomes are clear, and MEAL is adequately budgeted and resourced.
7 Lead national and/or global reporting processes and contribute to high quality project reporting, assisting in data quality assurance and compliance with reporting requirements.
8 Provide high quality MEAL technical support to implementation teams to develop and implement project based-M&E plans, including assessment and baseline tools, project specific monitoring tools, approaches, staff and team responsibilities and frequency of monitoring and evaluation activities.
9 Develop, review, catalogue and ensure utilisation of standardised MEAL assessment and monitoring tools, manuals, guidelines, trainings, regulations and protocols.
10 Develop and increase utilisation of accountability approaches, such as Complaints and Response Mechanisms.
11 Ensure improved and functioning national Management Information System (MIS).
12 Keep abreast of MEAL sector trends and developments, for example in remote monitoring, and adapt and promote introduction of new methodologies, innovations and best practices.
13 Manage performance and professional development of team (currently seven staff members) and develop team in line with strategy need.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Minimum of 8 years’ experience in development sector
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience developing and implementing monitoring and evaluation strategies, including design of systems and tools, data analysis and report writing
- Previous experience of working on large scale, complex, multi-sector programmes in both emergency and development contexts and developing project based M&E systems for a range of different donors
- Extensive experience in research and monitoring and evaluation methodology and analysis (qualitative, quantitative, participatory) with in depth knowledge in the design and use of monitoring and evaluation techniques and approaches.
- Significant experience in leading teams and building M&E team capacity (developing training tools, training, coaching and mentoring)
- Significant understanding of development of MIS and data and information management
- Familiarity with knowledge management systems and approaches that foster a learning culture.
- Familiarity with accountability approaches
- Highly developed influencing, communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to communicate technical issues effectively and persuasively.
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Commitment to and understanding of Save the Children’s aims, values and principles including rights-based approaches.
- A degree in a relevant field (e.g. in knowledge management, evaluation, etc) or in one or more of Save the children’s thematic areas (e.g. education, public health, nutrition, child protection, child rights and emergency response)
- Significant experience of accountability approaches
- Significant experience of remote monitoring approaches
How to apply:
Application Email: Please apply with a covering letter and up-to-date CV to: ‘firstname.lastname@example.org‘
Read more here:: ReliefWeb