Posted by: Harlem RBI
New York, NY, US
Harlem RBI, an award winning youth development program, is seeking dynamic, motivated individuals to serve as Assistant Group Leaders in a comprehensive after-school program for grades K-5 in East Harlem, New York. Harlem RBI’s REAL Kids program provides elementary school aged children with educational and recreational activities designed to foster a positive learning environment, build character and improve reading levels.
The ideal candidate will be able to join Harlem RBI for the full commitment of after-school, which runs from mid-September through early June.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Assist Group Leader in managing a group of 18 Kindergarten & 1st grade youth in daily after school activities including sports, arts and literacy;
- Co-facilitate lessons to help youth build their social and emotional skills;
- Collaborate with co-Group Leader to facilitate various recreational activities;
- Serve as an assistant teacher, helping to deliver reading activities in innovative literacy activities;
- Model and encourage positive participation in all daily activities;
- Supervise and manage youth behavior at all times using positive youth development strategies;
- Participate in weekly professional development and tactical trainings in addition to a robust initial training institute.
- Minimum of 1 after-school or summer season working with groups of school-age children;
- Exhibits high energy, warmth, enthusiasm and patience in working with youth;
- Demonstrated ability to assist children in grades K-1 with homework;
- Passion to work in a team environment and meet high expectations for youth and staff;
- Ability to take initiative and maintain flexibility;
- One or more years of post-secondary education is preferred;
- Monday-Friday, 1:30-5:45pm OR Monday-Thursday, 3-6pm and Friday, 12-6pm
- $11-12.50 per hour, based on level of previous experience
- Mid-September 2016- early June 2017
Read more here:: Idealist