Posted by: The Peter G. Peterson Foundation
New York, NY, US
The Peter G. Peterson Foundation
Manager, Media Relations
New York, NY
About the Peter G. Peterson Foundation
The Peter G. Peterson Foundation is working to secure a healthy, growing economy by addressing America’s long-term fiscal challenges. The Foundation partners with leading policy experts, elected officials and the public to build support for solutions to put America on a sustainable fiscal path. As a non-partisan organization, the Foundation engages in grant-making, partnerships and research to educate and involve Americans from a variety of perspectives.
Tackling complex fiscal issues and fostering meaningful action requires developing a broad reach with a high impact public profile. To be successful, the Foundation must leverage sophisticated communications strategies geared toward public policy “influentials” and the American public at large.
Reporting to the Director, Policy Communications, the Manager, Media Relations will be the day-to-day point person with the national, regional and local news media. This includes fielding and filing requests, proactively cultivating media relationships, and serving as the primary point of contact on grantee communications, mediaannouncements and project rollouts
- Fielding and filling as appropriate all requests from reporters, editors, producers, bookers, writers, and bloggers about Foundation activities, issues, initiatives, grants, policies and events.
- Developing and implementing a proactive media strategy for the foundation and its principals, promoting priority Foundation activities.
- Cultivating and strengthening the Foundation’s long-term relationships with the news media – traditional and emerging.
- Significant writing including drafts for news releases, media advisories, talking points, fact sheets, backgrounders, etc.
- Partnering with the communications team of the Peterson Center for Healthcare, an initiative of the Peterson Foundation, and serving as the day-to-day liaison between the Center and the Foundation to ensure coordinated and consistent media and communications strategies and planning.
- Regularly engaging with communication teams of Foundation grantees and partners, serving as a primary point of contact on grantee communications, media announcements and project rollouts.
- Managing process and design for range of materials, publications, presentations and videos for various audiences and events.
- Briefing principals for interactions with the news media.
- Research and vetting speaking and other opportunities for executive leadership of Foundation.
- Working with internal and consultant communications team as well as all foundation offices.
- Tracking relevant press coverage to ensure that the appropriate channels and messages are being used.
- Monitoring legislative initiatives, electoral planks, and news analysis to determine how the Foundation’s message is being incorporated into public policy.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Existing relationships with tier one news outlets and demonstrated experience developing and maintaining relevant media contact lists (preferred)
- Ability to translate complicated policy issues into generally understandable messages
- Skilled in working independently as well as part of a team and is able to demonstrate initiative, professionalism and attention to detail
- Openness to feedback and a desire to learn and grow
- Ability to work on tight deadlines and have the organizational skills to prioritize and manage numerous projects at once
- Ability to navigate the current information/media environment and its technological complexities
- Demonstrated interest in and knowledge of fiscal policy and public affairs
- Experience with a political campaign or policy organization is highly advantageous
The Peter G. Peterson Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages candidates of all backgrounds to apply for this position.
Read more here:: Idealist