Posted by: The Aspen Institute
Washington, DC, US
Position Title: Senior Digital Content Editor and Producer
Position Location: Washington, D.C.
Reports To: Managing Director of Communications & Public Affairs;
Director of Digital Strategy
FLSA Status: Exempt
The Aspen Institute is an educational and policy studies organization based in Washington, DC. Its mission is to foster leadership based on enduring values and to provide a nonpartisan venue for dealing with critical issues. The Institute has campuses in Aspen, Colorado, and on the Wye River on Maryland’s Eastern Shore. It also maintains offices in New York City and has an international network of partners.
The Senior Digital Content Editor will manage, plan, edit, and oversee the production and publishing of digital content on[[http:aspeninsitute.org|aspeninsitute.org]], collaborate with Communications department staff in the coverage of Aspen Institute programs, events, and issues, and serve as the primary supervisor to the Editorial Associate and the Communications Intern.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Oversee the development of written and visual content for[[http:aspeninstitute.org|aspeninstitute.org]] to highlight the work of the Institute’s programs, events, and issues
• Solicit blog posts from Institute staff, as well as speakers and guests of Institute programs, affiliated partners of the Institute, and collect related digital assets for digital publication.
• Edit blog posts written by Communications staff, program staff and outside experts for style, tone, accuracy and suitability for a digital format
• Maintain the editorial calendar for aspen[[http:institute.org|institute.org]] and, in consultation with the Director of Digital Strategy and the Managing Director of Communications & Public Affairs, determine which events, issues, and ideas deserve coverage and how best to position them for a digital audience
• Produce web content to best incorporate photos, video, infographics, social posts, and other media while sharing the daily work of the Institute
• Identify ways to position the Institute’s digital content in the context of contemporary news events
• Monitor digital content posted by Institute program staff for style, tone, accuracy and suitability for a digital format
Digital Content Creation & Consultation
• Consult with Institute program staff regularly on ways to use digital content on[[http:aspeninstitute.org|aspeninstitute.org]] and other online platforms more effectively to promote their work
• Write blog posts, headlines, captions and other related text for[[http:aspeninstitute.org|aspeninstitute.org]]
• Select images from Aspen Institute archives and/or stock photography to illustrate written pieces
• Embed video, related links, and graphics into written pieces
• Collaborate with the Video Operations Manager and other Communications staff to produce video clips, packages, and series
• Collaborate with the Director of Digital Strategy and the Social Media Manager on how best to promote digital content to an online audience
• Lead creation of online digital content during major Aspen Institute events such as the Aspen Ideas Festival and Aspen Security Forum
Management & Supervision
• Serve as the primary supervisor for the Editorial Associate and Communications Intern, editing the digital content they create, monitoring their workload and providing guidance and feedback on a daily basis
• Monitor and evaluate website analytics to develop an evolving digital editorial strategy digital content on[[http:aspeninstitute.org|aspeninstitute.org]]
• Oversee the Editorial Associate in archiving the Institute’s event photography and adding selected images to the Institute’s Flickr account.
• Manage editorial relationships and publications agreements with digital outlets including The Huffington Post Aspen Institute channel,[[http:TheAtlantic.com|TheAtlantic.com]], and others.
Manages the Editorial Associate and Communications Intern. Regular interaction with the Director of Digital Strategy and the Web Team, the Managing Director of Communications and Public Affairs, Video Operations Manager, Video Coordinator, Public Affairs Coordinator, social media team, and the VP/Chief External Affairs Officer. Routine contact with Institute program staff, speakers, and leadership.
Knowledge, Education and Experience:
• BA or BS in journalism, public affairs or related field
• Minimum 5 years digital content creation or digital journalism experience
• Supervisory experience required
• Knowledge of web, social media, and digital content trends
• Superior writing and editing skills
• Comfortable in a fast-paced digital publishing environment
• Knowledge of HTML, CSS, WordPress, Photoshop, online analytics
• Strong visual, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.
Read more here:: Idealist