Posted by: Center for Civilians in Conflict
Washington, DC, US
Center for Civilians in Conflict (CIVIC) is a Washington, DC-based NGO that works on behalf of civilians caught in the midst of armed conflict to create and implement better policies and practices around civilian protection and harm mitigation. The Senior Program Manager will be a highly valued member of the program team responsible for building out CIVIC’s work on the protection of civilians by UN peacekeeping missions, including through research, project management, training design and implementation, and advocacy with a broad cross-section of stakeholders at UN headquarters and in specific peacekeeping missions in Africa.
Job Purpose: Leads CIVIC’s programmatic work on UN peacekeeping working closely with the regional programs, particularly Africa
Location: New York, NY, Washington, DC
Travel: Up to 40% required (domestic and international)
Reporting to: Director of Programs
Staff Reporting: Program Officer on UN peacekeeping (full-time), researchers, interns, consultants
Key Functions: Lead CIVIC’s UN Peacekeeping program, including through strategy development, research, writing, media representation, and advocacy; Identify new funding opportunities in the countries in which we work and collaborate with UN Advocate to identify funding opportunities at UNHQ and with permanent missions;
Develop and implement projects assuring the highest quality products; Ensure effective monitoring and evaluation of programmatic work.
- Significant experience in Africa conducting field research and carrying out other program work including an understanding of civilian protection issues in armed conflict;
- Deep understanding of issues related to the protection of civilians by UN peacekeeping operations, including gaps that undermine proactive protection;
- Proven ability to think analytically and plan strategically, including setting objectives and identifying and capitalizing on opportunities for our work;
- Poise, flexibility, discretion, and mature judgment to handle and respond appropriately and professionally in a stressful, conflict environment;
- Well organized, self-motivated, and able to conceptualize and implement programs both individually and as part of a team;
- Creative thinking and an ability to develop new lines of work, whether on new countries or particular thematic issues;
- Experience working with or in peacekeeping missions;
- Excellent leader and skills developer, particularly with remote staff;
- Outstanding research, analysis, communication and writing skills;
- Experience in training development and facilitation.
- B.A. in international affairs, political science, or related area; MA, MS, or JD preferred;
- 7-10 years relevant full-time staff level work experience required including work in active and recently active conflict zones in Africa;
- Minimum 2 years field experience;
- Demonstrated tireless work ethic;
- Passion for CIVIC’s subject matter and willingness to take on the responsibilities and duties as a senior member of our team;
- Availability for a period of 2 years (renewable);
- Fluency in French and English mandatory;
- A sense of humor and a passion for people and leadership.
This program is slated for growth within the organization over the next 1-3 years including promotion of this position to director level based on performance.
CIVIC offers a competitive compensation and benefits package to include excellent health benefits (medical, vision and dental), life insurance, a 403b retirement savings plan with employer-matched contributions (up to 5% of salary), and paid leave plus twelve paid holidays (including the day after Thanksgiving and the days between Christmas and New Year’s Day).
Read more here:: Idealist