Organization: Croix-Rouge Française
Country: Solomon Islands
Closing date: 10 Oct 2016
Context of the position
Isolated population, vulnerable to natural hazards and climate change
People living in south pacific islands are particularly vulnerable to natural disasters. The geographical dispersion of the islands, the lack of information on natural hazards, the lack of access to basic disaster response materials, and the difficulties in logistical supply are the major problems in this context.
FRC activities today
The FRC delegation in Solomon Islands is composed of a head of delegation and one head of projects, supported by an administrative, financial, and logistics coordinator. The delegation is based in Honiara, Solomon Islands’ capital city, on the island of Guadalcanal.
Currently, one project is underway: ” Supporting community planning: reducing vulnerabilities of communities exposed to natural disasters by implementing DRR and WASH mitigation measures » also named “SCP 3”, funded by OFDA (office of U.S. foreign disaster assistance); May 2015 – April 2018: This project aims at strengthening vulnerable communities’ capacities to cope with natural disasters impacts by implementing DRR and WASH mitigation measures in Savo and Guadalcanal province.
With the help of the Asia-Pacific Regional Wash Delegate based in Vientiane, the Head of Delegation will be in charge of FRC teams and actions, especially;
A- Coordination and monitoring:
• Leadership on programs coordination
• Leadership on new programs and projects development
• Monitoring of programs in process
B- Management of resources:
• Human Resources management
• Financial and budgetary management
• Technical means management
C- Communication management:
• Internal communication (reporting, flow of communication)
• External communication (reporting, representation and coordination with partners such as EU Delegation, UN Agencies, local authorities, other humanitarian partners on the ground)
D- Security management:
• Elaborate security strategies and safety plans in coordination with relevant actors
• Supervision on the adoption of security procedures by all the staff; ensure that all staff, are briefed on the security situation and instructions to follow
• Ensure an active surveillance on the security situation
HIERARCHICAL AND FUNCTIONAL LINKS
Works under the responsibility of the head of Asia-Pacific Zone based in Paris (FRC Headquarters, France).
Directly manages a team of 2 people (1 Logistics, Administrative and Financial Coordinator and 1 Head of Project), all based in Honiara.
Works externally with : representatives of national and international organizations, other components of Red Cross and Red Crescent movement, local authorities, others humanitarian actors on the field.
Challenges of the position
- Multidimensional aspects of the position due to the small size of the delegation : knowledge of management, HR, program coordination, administration, finance, logistics, networking…needed
- Small but very nice environment
Profile of the candidate
Educational background and experiences:
• Graduate or post-graduate degree in relevant field
• You have already worked in a similar position for at least 2 years
• Experience in NGO necessary, preferably in emergency and post-emergency contexts
• Proven experience in team management
• Previous knowledge of FRC and RC & RC Movement would be an asset
• Strong organizational skills
• Strong communication, analysis and reporting skills
• Sound management capacities
• Substantial experience of strategic thinking, including identifying, analyzing, problem solving and responding to opportunities and challenges and the ability to translate these into practical plans of action
• Extensive knowledge and experience of projects’ planning and budget holding; proposal and report writing
• Ability of raising the profile of an organization, strategically networking with government agencies, donors and other international agencies, and using the media as appropriate
• Ability to work under high pressure with a great level of personal organisation
• English mandatory (oral and written); Pijin would be an asset
• Strong interpersonal and intercultural skills
• Flexible and proactive
• Good relationship, patienceAutonomous and team-worker
• Location : Honiara – SOLOMON ISLANDS
• Duration: 12 months renewable
• To be filled: October 2016
• Deadline for application: 10th of October 2016
• Status: expatriate position
• Passport valid for more than 6 months at the moment of departure
• Up-to-date vaccination card / fitness for travel
To be better acquainted with the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement, we invite you to follow two training sessions online, free and accessible to all, that constitute a real advantage for your application:
WORC (The World of Red Cross and Red Crescent) is an e-learning course on the fundamental principles and operations of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. Its 12 modules address subjects such as the origin and history of the Movement, its fundamental principles, its emblem, the International Federation, the ICRC and national societies. It is intended for all: volunteers, employees, members or people wishing to get more information on the biggest humanitarian movement in the world.
Stay Safe is intended for every staff in a position to carry out international missions on behalf of the Federation or a National Society of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. The course aims at developing a common culture of security management within the Movement in order to enable a better understanding of the main threats and risks for humanitarian actors in the field, and offers solutions to restrain their impact.
You will find these lessons on the IFRC Learning Platform open to all by clicking on the following link: https://ifrc.csod.com/client/ifrc/default.aspx
How to apply:
Candidates interested should apply directly via FRC website:
Read more here:: ReliefWeb