Organization: FHI 360
Country: United States of America
Closing date: 16 Oct 2016
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Business Development Proposal Associate.
The Senior Business Development Officer manages proposal development efforts for FHI 360’s Global Learning unit, comprised of the Global Education and Global Connections departments. The Officer works in partnership with technical teams in identifying and tracking opportunities, circulates relevant opportunities to key internal stakeholders, supports competitive analyses, and facilitates bid/no bid decision-making. S/he ensures the security and integrity of all proposal documentation, oversees the internal flow and review of all proposal inputs, manages schedules to ensure the timely completion of all proposal components, coordinates activities with cross functional business areas, and directs submission of final proposals. The Officer serves as a key member of the Global Learning Unit’s Business Development and Communications team and reports to the Director of Development and Communications, Global Learning. S/he also serves as a key point of contact with FHI 360’s central Business Development and Diversification team.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
- Partners with the technical leader to deliver compliant, competitive proposals to the client on time. Oversees the entire proposal process—from capture through development and submission—in close collaboration with proposal design leads and proposal teams.
- Creates the proposal calendar, tracks technical and cost proposal progress to ensure milestones are met, and ensures that every member of the proposal team, including sub- and prime contractors, knows what is expected of him/her and when tasks are due.
- Works closely with proposal team leads to develop win themes, strategies and design approaches as appropriate; may lead smaller bids.
- Provides detailed and strategic analyses of solicitations, develops requirements list and submission checklists according to solicitation instructions, drafts compliance outline and proposal responsibilities, and–as needed–writes discrete proposal sections, edits and proofreads.
- Distributes essential material and updates to the functional managers and bid team experts and sends follow-up emails to the team with the details of the proposal and timeline for completion.
- Contributes to partnering decisions/negotiations; assists the technical lead in securing resources, such as authors and reviewers.
- Ensures effective and ongoing communication among FHI 360, partners and collaborators throughout the proposal development process.
- Oversees the collection of all required proposal forms, materials, etc. as stipulated in the funders’ requests for proposals (solicited and unsolicited concept papers/LOIs, full proposals, etc.).
- Quality-controls proposal components to ensure compliance with donor requirements and FHI 360 standards and competitiveness prior to production and distribution.
- Assembles and submits complete proposals, including technical and cost elements.
- Ensures relevant tracking systems and proposal files are kept up-to-date and provides regular and ad hoc analyses of Global Learning business efforts.
- Works on multiple proposals at varying stages of development simultaneously and largely independently.
- Builds strong relationships with colleagues across multiple departments to facilitate collaborative proposal development and to continually improve proposal and business development processes.
- Develops, utilizes and continually refines tools, templates and work processes that result in streamlined and efficient proposal teamwork.
- Leads post-proposal submission after action reviews, debriefs and follow-up activities.
- Ensures timely transfer of all proposal files and related research to implementing teams on award.
- Assists in maintaining relationships with sponsors, relevant government agencies, universities, multinational, and other non-governmental organizations.
- Provides process and best practice leadership and experience; contributes to the development and delivery of proposal training for the organization.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Applied Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong familiarity with fundamental proposal development principles, terminology, and methodology of proposal development.
- Experience managing or coordinating complex, multi-organization proposals for USAID and/or the US Department of State, the World Bank, the United Nations, DFID, or other major international donor agencies.
- Strong organizational skills and a track record for effectively managing proposal teams of diverse levels of seniority and experience.
- Effective communication skills required for providing diplomatic and constructive comments to clients, internal and external partners.
- Ability to follow written guidelines, including departmental policies, FHI360 policies and procedures, and work orders.
- Effective multi-tasking skills and the ability to continually self-prioritize workload to meet competing needs and sensitive deadlines.
- Ability to manage short-term, long-term proposals of varying complexity.
- Demonstrated ability to abstract, condense, or write general information for inclusion in proposal documents.
- Comfort providing guidance to less experienced peers.
- **Bachelor’s Degree required. Master’s degree preferred.
- **5+ years of experience in Education, Public Health, Healthcare or related industry.
- 5-10 years of proposal development experience, preferably for USAID-funded initiatives proposal development, including a minimum of 5 years managing.
- Knowledge of Non-governmental Organization (NGO) business development process activities required.
- Possesses excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Good leadership ability.
- Demonstrates strong analytical, organizational and problem-solving abilities and the ability to prioritize tasks.
- Read, write and speak English. Fluent in the host country language required.
- Familiarity with APMP, Shipley Associates , or other proposal processes preferred.
- APMP Certification or other relevant certification a plus.
** Or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience sufficient to successfully perform the key responsibilities of the job.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package. Please click here to visit FHI 360’s Career Center for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
How to apply:
Read more here:: ReliefWeb