Organization: National Cooperative Business Association
Country: United States of America
Closing date: 31 Oct 2016
The National Cooperative Business Association CLUSA International (NCBA CLUSA) is the trade association for cooperative businesses in the United States and an international development organization. NCBA CLUSA provides cross-sector education, technical assistance, and advocacy that helps co-ops thrive. For nearly 100 years, NCBA CLUSA has sought to advance and protect cooperative enterprises, highlighting the impact that cooperatives have in bettering the lives of individuals and families. In the last 60 years, NCBA CLUSA has worked in over 100 countries in the areas of food security, agricultural development, strengthening of communities and farmer organizations, community-based health, natural resources management, and empowerment of smallholder farmers, women, and youth. We currently work in over 20 countries in Africa, Latin America, and Asia.
NCBA CLUSA is seeking a dynamic and experienced leader in new business development for our growing international portfolio. The Senior Director of Business Development will support our Business Development team, based in Washington D.C. NCBA CLUSA has doubled in size over the past 5 years, and seeks a new dynamic team member to lead the international unit’s new business strategy, manage the staff and consultants, and provide vision and leadership as NCBA CLUSA continues to grow and expands its portfolio. We are currently working in over 20 countries in Africa, Latin America, and Caribbean, and SE Asia in the areas of food security and nutrition, resilience, natural resources management, gender and youth opportunity development, and cooperative and enterprise development. We are major implementers of the USG Feed the Future and other agricultural and food security initiatives. The Senior Director of Business Development (BD) is responsible for identifying, capturing, and securing new business for the organization.
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Develop and execute dynamic new business strategy and pipeline, in partnership with program and technical teams.
· Support/lead resource allocation and strategic bid decisions;
· Maintain comprehensive overview of program development pipeline and ongoing opportunities/activities in each region;
· Manage, coach, and empower staff and consultants to actively participate in program development;
· Develop strategies with Country Directors and staff on program development strategies and participation in capture and bids;
· Manage business development team, and work collaboratively with technical directors, country staff, consultants, and program managers;
· Cultivate and manage relationships with donors and potential stakeholders in target regions, including government, the private sector, and partners in collaboration with country and program teams;**
· Develop partnership priorities, identify key partners with whom NCBA CLUSA can undertake active program exploration and among whom NCBA CLUSA is a preferred partner;
· Identify other tactical bidding partners to be included in specific bidding consortia requiring their expertise.
Lead winning proposals by directing teams and carrying out a wide range of proposal/bid development roles.
· Develop and lead solid conceptual frameworks, strategies, and processes for the entire bid process, including early intelligence, capture, proposal development, and post-decision processes;
· Lead large, strategic, complex, competitive bids, ensuring appropriate internal and external resources are engaged;
· Recruit, manage and maintain a solid bench of short-term technical and writing consultants;
· Manage the overall proposal development process; fill bid team roles as needed, including writing and section development; manage and support writers and budget team;
· Ensure all federal and other donor requirements, including USAID and USDA, are included and completely met; ensure all NCBA CLUSA and partner contributions are completed in a timely manner and are fully responsive to the requirements of the solicitation; work with technical writers to ensure evaluation criteria are thoroughly addressed in outlines, drafts and final draft;
· Ensure the production of all proposal charts, graphs, and graphics; ensure all proposal boiler-plate materials are completed and responsive; ensure overall presentation of proposal is professional;
· Coordinate and support the review and quality assurance processes for proposals, responsive to donor requirements, compliance requirements, and NCBA CLUSA quality standards and policies.
Develop and manage effective systems, policies, and processes for business development, recruitment, and consultant management.
· Develop business development and marketing strategies and propose and manage strategic and tactical plans for unit;
· Gather market intelligence and work with senior leadership and program teams to develop a plan for business growth by researching, targeting, and capturing business opportunities;
· Develop and manage systems and staff to track and maintain the business development pipeline data, consultant database, and recruitment database and associated activity;
· Establish clear processes and procedures to ensure the effective and efficient operation of the new business function of the organization.
Lead BD department’s contributions to organizational knowledge management and learning processes.
· Develop and maintain professional expertise and knowledge relevant to NCBA CLUSA and its core competencies;
· Attend industry and sector-related conferences and activities for professional development and networking;
· Provide coaching, mentoring, and professional development opportunities for business development and program staff;
· Ensure business development function is benefiting from lessons learned and adapting to successes and failures to continually improve the BD function and proposal win rate.
SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE THE FOLLOWING QUALIFICATIONS:
· Requires a Bachelor’s degree, with a Master’s degree preferred or equivalent relevant work experience. A minimum of ten years of experience in business development services and proposal writing, including five years of supervisory experience.
Proven track record in in designing, developing, leading, coordinating, and authoring quality and winning proposals.
Experience working on proposals for USAID, USDA, multilateral and bilateral donors, and corporate partnerships.
Knowledge of USAID regulatory procurement processes and cycle, and key USAID initiatives (such as Feed the Future) required.
Proven track record in successful business and program development design and development of technical and cost proposals.
Ability to travel internationally up to 25%.
· Excellent interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to manage proposal processes and team relationships to and positively influence various contributors to the process, including contributors from multiple offices/units and at all levels of the organization.
· Flexible and calm under pressure in a fast-paced environment and to meet tight deadlines in a highly effective and collegial manner.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English, including the ability to write for diverse audiences and editing skills.
· Familiarity in one of NCBA CLUSA core sectors preferred including food security and agriculture, democracy and governance, natural resource management, cooperative development, integrated women and gender initiatives, and community-led development.
- Strong research, analytical, planning, coordination, and time management skills.
· Demonstrated good judgment and ability to prioritize multiple tasks, provide good attention to detail, and work proactively.
· Ability to synthesize information from various sources into a compelling proposal.
- Highly self-motivated and driven, with the commitment to work extended hours when needed.
· Cross-cultural competence in managing a diverse and multi-cultural workforce.
· Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Project, Outlook, PowerPoint).
How to apply:
To apply, click here. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
NCBA CLUSA is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply; all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, and legally protected characteristics for non-merit factors.
Read more here:: ReliefWeb