Posted by: UNITE HERE!
Baltimore, MD, US
UNITE HERE seeks committed activists to be full-time union Boycott Organizers. Be a part of a movement of low wage workers that is confronting corporate greed and mistreatment of workers, raising the standards of service sector jobs, and winning dignity and respect on the job through solidarity and action. Possible locations of initial assignments: Las Vegas, and the Baltimore-DC area.
Boycott Organizers develop strategy to move customers from boycotted properties, work with worker committees and lead teams of volunteer activists to plan and carry out creative actions to help enforce boycotts. The work is typically 40% – Coordinating and executing creative actions at strategic locations to help enforce boycotts and 60% – Research and campaign related work.
Boycotts are a critical piece of our union’s comprehensive campaigns. Our members (a majority of whom are women and immigrants) in the hotel and casino industries are standing in solidarity to defend their standards against corporations that are attempting to roll back hard-won decent wages, benefits and respect on the job. Non-union hotel and casino workers are fighting for the right to organize free from management intimidation and retaliation.
• Must have passion for low wage and other worker struggles;
• Must have previous activist experience — boycott experience a plus;
• Must be assertive and have excellent language, writing and computer skills;
• Applicants must be willing and able to travel to appropriate work sites, and relocate as necessary.
Responsibilities Include (but are not limited to):
• Researching hotel and casino clients;
• Developing and carrying out strategy to move clients from hotels and casinos that are driving down industry standards;
• Recruiting/developing/maintaining volunteer committees;
• Working with community and labor allies;
• Coordinating actions such as leafleting, delegations and marches, including frequent early morning actions.
Read more here:: Idealist