Posted by: Goodwill Industries of Greater NY & Northern NJ, Inc.
Long Island City, NY, US
Goodwill Industries is currently seeking a Counselor to join the Youth Services Department. The Counselor will work collaboratively with other staff and outside professionals within the community school. Will provide intervention and support focused on the social-emotional, behavioral, personal, family and community needs of students.
- Assess student’s needs to determine which services will provide assistance in academic performance problems, relationship issues, problems at home or social problems such as substance abuse and/or pregnancy.
- Will provide counseling services to students related to issues at home and in the classroom.
- The counselor will provide a link between student and services such as counseling referral or substance abuse information.
- Will conduct seminars for students on how to handle pressures and difficulty of school life.
- The counselor will provide support to teachers with difficult students. Will provide advice on the best way to approach students and may also teach seminars and workshops on dealing with problem students.
- Provide a variety of family involvement services including (but not limited to) conferences, home visits workshops, classes, referrals and phone calls. Serve as a liaison between home and school and encourage parent participation in school activities.
- Assist families in recognizing the need for, and the use of, community resources.
- Document all efforts and maintain description and documentation of all interventions and activities.
Qualifications/Basic Job Requirements:.
Bachelors or Masters in Counseling and experience working in a school setting. Drivers license preferred.
Scope of Responsibility & Positions Supervised:
Excellent communication skills
Must be able to work with diverse cultural, educational, social and economic students and families.
Read more here:: Idealist