Posted by: Brooklyn Defender Services
Brooklyn, NY, US
BDS is one of the largest public defense providers in the United States. We represent more than 45,000 clients per year in a variety of legal proceedings in New York City, primarily indigent criminal, family, and immigration defense. BDS represents clients who have diverse, complex and multi-faceted needs in a high volume and very fast-paced setting. BDS’ Family Defense Practice (FDP) represents parents in child welfare cases in Brooklyn Family Court. FDP advocates for clients who have diverse, complex and multi-faceted needs in a high volume and very face-paced setting. FDP seeks a social worker to become part of the out of court advocate team of social workers and parent advocates.
Brief Description of Job
Social workers team up with attorneys and parent advocates to provide comprehensive legal representation to our clients.
- Applicants must have a Master’s Degree in Social Work and be licensed or willing and eligible to become licensed.
- Applicants should possess excellent interpersonal, analytical, writing, and organizational skills and be willing to work as part of a team in a very fast-paced environment.
- Strong preference will be given to applicants who have experience in mental health issues, family court and/or the child welfare system.
- FDP seeks applicants with 2-5 years’ experience.
- Advocate for clients at agency case conferences
- Conduct client assessments,
- Do crisis intervention management,
- Develop service plans for clients,
- Work closely with attorneys to determine case strategy,
- Refer clients for services,
- Communicate with service providers about clients’ needs
- Conduct home visits
Only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
BDS is an equal opportunity employer which supports a policy of non-discrimination in all employment practices including, but not limited to, hiring, transfer, promotions, training, compensation, benefits, lay-offs, and terminations.
Read more here:: Idealist