Organization: Management Systems International
Closing date: 04 Nov 2016
**Deputy Director of the Information
Systems Board and Operations **
Manager – Ministry of Economy and
Finance (MEF) – Port-au-Prince, Haiti
Management Systems International is a Washington, DC based international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. We operate in some of the most challenging political and economic climates in the world, including Pakistan, Afghanistan, South Sudan and Iraq. MSI currently employs 800 development experts in the fields of public sector management, monitoring and evaluation, governance and anti-corruption. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com . MSI has recently become a Tetra Tech Company.
Founded on October 1st, 1988, the Centre de Formation et d’Encadrement Technique (CFET) is a private Haitian firm specializing in Management and Human Resources Development. CFET’s mission is to contribute to improved worker performance and to facilitate access to talented professionals whose skills match the needs and professional ethical codes of clients. CFET, in partnership with Management Systems International (MSI) manages the USAID KONEKTE program in order to provide technical support to the Government of Haiti.
Launched by USAID in November 2012, KONEKTE (KONesans E Konpetans TEknik) is a program designed to assist the Government of Haiti (GOH) with increasing capacity within Haitian ministries by identifying and placing experienced advisors in key positions. KONEKTE is a partnership between a Haitian firm (Centre de Formation et d’Encadrement Technique (CFET)), USAID, and the GOH, which aims to build local capacity to create a more stable and viable Haiti. KONEKTE’s main partner within the GOH is the Office of Management and Human Resources (OMRH). KONEKTE works closely with the OMRH to identify high-level advisors through a transparent and competitive recruitment process that prioritizes the expertise of Haitians and the Haitian Diaspora. Each Advisor is placed in a department to bridge a competence gap. In addition, consistent with the objectives of the USAID Forward initiative, KONEKTE strengthens the OMRH’s ability to ensure the sustainability of the program’s achievements.
The General Management (GM) of the Ministry of Economy and Finances is responsible for carrying out the project. The GM organized an operational group comprised of 10 ministry agents and concerned several general management teams and agencies associated with the ministry. This operational group or project committee is specifically in charge of defining and implementing the Information Technology Master Plan. The General Director names the Chief of Party to lead the operational group.
The expert will run the mission under the direction of the operational group’s Chief of Party and under the General Director’s supervision. The Haitian team Assistance à la Maitrise d’Ouvrage (AMOA) supports the work of the operational group. AMOA’s mission began on April 1st, 2015 and is ensured by two experts.
The Office of Management and Human Resources (OMRH) together with the Finance Ministry and with technical support from KONEKTE, a program financed by USAID, is recruiting a Deputy Director of Information Systems to strengthen the IT Unit and transform it into a fully-fledged Information Systems Department.
To Note: USAID/Haiti has the right to annul this post at any time.**
Closing Date: October 19, 2016
Location and Duration of Position:
The position will last for 18 months. The Deputy Director of Information Systems will be based at the MEF in Port-au-Prince, Haiti and will be under the Director of IT Systems’ supervision.
After the earthquake eruption on January 12th, 2010, the MEF’s IT infrastructure was partially destroyed. Important reconstruction took place and service is now restored and has even surpassed what it was before the quake. The time has now come to advance and progress towards a more integrated and reliable IT system, against the back drop of the public finance reform’s strategy and action plan implementation, which the government adopted in May of 2014.
The MEF’s IT unit is responsible for the Ministry’s IT developments, including infrastructure projects connected to the Ministry’s diverse property networks. Within this context, an Information Technology Master Plan was produced, which allowed for IT development planning over a period of 5 years (2014-2019).
The implementation of this Information Technology Master Plan must be considered quickly to guarantee the rapid introduction of diverse IT solutions. This must be done while observing the Master Plan’s application planning timeline. The Information Technology Master Plan’s recommendations include reinforcing the IT unit and transforming it into a genuine Information Systems Department.
The Haitian Civil Service is characterized by a lack of professionalism, due to the absence of public policies, standards, procedures and management tools necessary to organize and develop its structures. Staffing and nominations in particular do not conform to any well-defined framework, which leads to inappropriate conditions in human resource recruitment. Recruitment processes subjected to external pressures contribute to turning public service into a political tool, marked by structural weaknesses, lack of professional motivation and subsequent inefficiency. It is clear that provided services do not meet the population’s expectations.
The OMRH was created in 2005 as a response to the need to develop public policies in recruitment streamlining and in strengthening civil service structures. OMRH is in charge of steering this vast institutional reengineering project that offers coaching to ministries and autonomous agencies, permitting them to implement their sector reform plans in human resource management.
Six years later, this action took on full significance after the Haitian government took the initiative to reactivate OMRH, making it fully functional with the necessary resources to fulfill its mission. Among others, this mission is to pilot reform programs in ministries and institutions that are part of the civil service.
This support t o the MEF serves to strengthen the IT Unit and transform it into a fully-fledged Information Systems Department through the recruitment of a Database Administrator. This mission is within a limited period of time. At the end of this mission the MEF will designate an administrative personnel member who will be in charge of continuing the mission and overseeing its continuous operation.
One objective will consist of strengthening the Information Systems Department, including Back Office applications on which rest essentially a large part of the Ministry of Economy and Finance’s main functions. They regroup the ERP/IFMIS, the GED and other crosscutting applications, including the Information Systems Department, which must ensure optimal running conditions.
The Deputy Director of Information Systems (DASI) will participate, under the authority of the Information Systems Director (DSI), in the decision making process and the defining of the DSI’s strategic direction.
The DASI will be responsible for:
- Supporting the Information Systems Director thanks to his / her mastery of administrative, legal, financial, IT and human resource management fields;
- Leading services that are directly delegated to him / her;
- Defining within the DSI’s strategic committee the IT solutions implementation policies in line with the Ministry’s General Board of strategic approaches.
As the Operations Manager of IT Applications this person will need to be a genuine production manager. As such, the main objectives will be, among others, to:
- Organize IT production;
- Supervise production, piloting, system engineering, operations, material maintenance, applications and basic software maintenance;
- Continuously improve productivity;
- Optimize IT resources;
- Supervise the whole of production or IT operations across the ministry;
- Definition of operation procedures
- Management of an operation service representing the whole of business managers
Diffuse necessary information in business management for optimal use of applications;
- Interface with other DSI departments and other services from the managers or the ministry
Monitor system reliability and data security;
- Measure and control operations concerning the whole of the Ministry’s IT function.
- Define emergency plans;
- Apply emergency plans and backup
Coordinate and manage operations personnel;
- Coordinate IT processing;
- Organize information in case of disturbances;
- Diffuse necessary information for businesses;
- Ensure service contract monitoring;
- Evaluate work loads and distribute them according to available resources;
- Guide management change brought on by new IT applications;
- Supervise personnel management through individual assessment interviews, identifying training needs, participating in implementation of personnel operation units in the departments;
- Ensure skills transfer;
Supervise materiel, application and software maintenance;
As Deputy Director of Information Systems, the following actions must be taken:
Define and supervise the Ministry of Economy and Finance’s information system development policy and ensure its implementation;
Promote the relationship quality with internal MEF partners and their departments in particular;
Manage client / supplier relations;
Manage service contracts;
Define and implement a policy of project management and support;
Understand and monitor subcontracts and their implementation;
Analyze the market and evaluate subcontracting offers;
Communicate internally, motivate and manage DSI personnel;
Define and supervise general management and organization of DSI;
Manage and arbitrate multidisciplinary projects involving geographically dispersed actors;
Implement change support measures for IT specialists;
Supervise relations with beneficiaries and external partners;
Manage relations with IT partners and external agency partners;
Guarantee IT security;
Define and implement the IT risk management policy;
Guarantee SI’s reliability, confidentiality, and integrity;
Propel and coordinate strategic projects in multiple activity sectors;
Develop and implement an economic and financial strategy;
Coordinate and define piloting and control instruments;
Mobilize and optimize human resources and all means of action;
Manage the institutional, economic and social environment and interface with political authority;
Execute evaluations of results and effectiveness of implemented means;
In terms of activities, the beneficiary will have to bring his or her expertise to piloting SI infrastructure-related projects (multi site infrastructure implementation, migration technique etc.) and IT productions.
- Qualifications and Technical Skills: Master (BAC + 5) in IT engineering. IT technical knowledge (operating systems, development tools, programming languages); knowledge of IT security (standards, risks). Overall project management skills (budget, material and human means, deadlines); Internal knowledge of large administrations or businesses (IT applications used, and departments); Knowledge of IT systems and functions; Excellent knowledge of security constraints, data backup procedures and security and surveillance tools in real time;
- Work Experience: More than 15 years professional experience in IT; has already led IT Systems Management Departments in large administrations or businesses. Has had at least 5 years experience in an IT service carrying out functions related to IT operations.
- Specific Experiences: Experience as an instructor is a plus. Has led large IT structures in a national but also international context. Has led large IT projects within a business or administration. Experience as a studies or development engineer, systems engineer, operations analyst.
- Personal Skills: In practice the DASI must be versatile. He or she must be able to handle all or part of the DSI’s activities. He or she is in a reporting relationship with different managers and exercises functional control over those with whom DSI coordinates. This person must also be able to replace the DSI, and to take on daily management tasks in case of absence. He or she will have to have good management, relational, communication, and team building skills. Technical expertise, rigor, availability, autonomy. Organization and ability to prioritize are essential. Excellent communication skills.
- IT Skills: Understanding of different types of operating systems (large, small systems, micro-computer systems); Unix, Microsoft etc.; Excellent knowledge of Linux and MS-Windows distributions;
- Language Skills: Excellent knowledge of French (report writing).
Note: This post is open to national or international professionals. Women are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply, visit our website: http://www.konekteprogram.org/fr/offres-demploi
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2apply.net/3xf25t6dsx
How to apply:
Read more here:: ReliefWeb