Organization: Handicap International
Closing date: 04 Nov 2016
PRESENTATION OF HANDICAP INTERNATIONAL
Outraged by the injustice faced by people with disabilities and vulnerable populations, we aspire to a world of solidarity and inclusion, enriched by our differences, where everyone can live in dignity.
Handicap International is an independent and impartial aid and development organization working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. We work alongside disabled and vulnerable people to help meet their essential needs, improve their living conditions and promote respect for their dignity and fundamental rights.
For further information about the association: http://www.handicap-international.fr/
Present in more than 55 countries, Handicap International is composed of 2 operational divisions:
• The Direction of Humanitarian Action
• The Direction of Development Action
Under Direction of Humanitarian Action, the expatriate will be recruited for this mission:
The Syrian crisis is the greatest humanitarian crisis of the last 20 years. According to the latest UN figures, about 13.5 million people are currently affected by the crisis in Syria, including about 6.5 million IDPs, while over 4 million Syrians have sought refuge in neighbouring countries or in Europe. The current humanitarian response only provides a patchy and partial coverage of the growing humanitarian needs.
Five years after the beginning of the crisis, the number of injured persons in Syria keeps rising, with a severe lack of rehabilitative care and psychosocial support. In hard-to-reach areas and/or areas of new displacement, local populations and IDPs are in need of emergency assistance in terms of food, household essential items, and other basic needs. The inclusion of the most vulnerable, including persons with disabilities, in the humanitarian response remains a major concern.
HI is managing a remote humanitarian program from three hubs in Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey, along four main pillars:
Support to health partners (hospitals, care houses, rehabilitation centers, local NGOs) for the provision of comprehensive rehabilitation services (physical rehabilitation, psychosocial support and/or prosthetics and orthotics) through training, technical supervisions and donations of rehabilitation material and/or equipment;
Provision of basic needs kits – Food baskets, Household Essential Items and Hygiene kits – in one-shot distributions to people who experience a sudden degradation of their living conditions due to renewed conflict, displacement and/or exclusion from humanitarian assistance.
Education to the risks and effects caused by conventional weapons and urgent marking of hazardous areas;
Inclusion promotion / reduction of barriers and discriminations linked with age, disability and other vulnerability factors, through training, technical support and mainstreaming activities in the work of other humanitarian actors
The current intervention is based on a mix of remote management of HI national teams and remote partnerships with local structures and organisations. HI has implemented some direct management programs in the past and is looking for ways to launch more in the coming months.
MAIN OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
Under the line management of the Support Services Coordinator (SSC), the Admin & Compliance Manager will be part of the coordination team based in Amman, and will be in link with the 3 hubs based in Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey.
After 3 years of response / activities implementation, and in a context of reorganization / structuration of the mission in one hand, and evolution of donor’s expectations in another hand, over the last 4 months HI has defined an updated set of administrative, logistic and operational procedures for the implementation of remotely-controlled humanitarian programs with local partners in Syria,
The Admin & Compliance Manager will have to:
• Support the implementation of HI’s new procedures, by providing training and accompaniment to the whole team (project teams and support services, at hub level and coordination level);
• Implement all necessary adaptations and /or improvement on tools used for partnership management / monitoring, in accordance with the new procedures;
• Upon request, provide training and/or training materials for Partners, regarding the new procedures;
• Analyse new grant agreements with donors and consortium leaders, identify the requests / constraints in terms of administrative / logistic / operational procedures, and support the negotiation of exceptions / derogations and/or the approval of HI’s procedures.
• Lead an internal audit on partners documentation (2015 and 2016) ), and provide recommendations and/or suggest improvements in the way of monitoring partnership;
• Upon request, provide guidance for the implementation of audits regarding purchases and/expenses realized by HI, though the elaboration / provision of methodology, tools…
• Provide any other support related to compliance.
This position is new for the mission (creation / short-term support mission); as such the Admin & Compliance Manager will have to be very proactive, to set-up good coordination / relationship with the whole mission, in the aim to fulfill these objectives.
Education and experience:
• Bachelor degree in a relevant subject. Master degree would be an asset.
• At least 3 years of proven experience with humanitarian organisations, as Admin Manager and/or Grant Manager
• Previous experience with HI would be a very strong asset
• Previous experience in remote management / with partners would be an asset
• Previous experience in training / capacity building
• Knowledge of the main institutional donors would be an asset
Professional & Personal skills:
• Autonomous, proactive and organised
• Reactive and able to deal with priorities
• Extremely rigorous and precise, attention to details
• Diplomat, able to work collaboratively in a team
• Strong communication, interpersonal and intercultural skills
• Ready and able to travel in the Middle East
• English mandatory (oral and written), Arabic is a strong asset
• Status: salaried contract
• Remuneration: salary from 2,200 EUR (according to experience) + perdiem of 642.43 EUR
• Start: November 1st, 2016
• Duration: 6 months
• Couple posting
• Living conditions: guesthouse shared with other expatriates (no charges), or individual accommodation (for couples – no charges)
• Travel: this is a highly mobile position, at least 50% of outside of Jordan (Beirut, Gaziantep, Antakya, other relevant locations)
How to apply:
Read more here:: ReliefWeb