Posted by: HopeWorks of Howard County, Inc.
Columbia, MD, US
Bilingual Victim Advocates provide direct service to victims of domestic and sexual violence and their children in a residential setting. Advocates provide crisis intervention, case management, advocacy, safety-planning and support services to women and their children living in the confidentially located Safe House, a 24-hour emergency shelter and to male victims and their children in a hotel housing program. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated interest in social justice issues, will be comfortable working in a diverse environment, and will have a demonstrated ability to multitask and respond swiftly to management requests. The candidate must have excellent interpersonal skills, solid organizational skills, and strong and effective communication skills.
- High school diploma
- Bachelor’s degree in psychology, human services, social work or related field (preferred)
- Previous shelter, family violence or sexual assault experience (preferred)
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Passionate about the mission and philosophy of HopeWorks
- Team oriented and believes in a strengths-based approach to providing trauma-informed services
- Current driver’s license and reliable transportation with up to date insurance
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint) and other computer software
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide day-to-day advocacy and case management to residents in emergency shelter
- Complete assessments, intakes, exits as needed – managing related documentation with accuracy and timeliness
- Advocate with other agencies on behalf of clients
- Assist in the completion of public benefits, housing and other applications as needed
- Provide residency verifications
- Facilitate house meetings and/or skill development workshops focused on increasing clients’ ability to work through trauma, adjust to life in shelter, and move towards independence
- Perform Safe House curfew checks and track transitional client curfew check-in
PROGRAM MANAGEMENT SUPPORT
- Accurately complete client paperwork and compile reports as needed
- Document and communicate all pertinent information/issues for the following shifts
- Conduct daily house checks and report any maintenance concerns to appropriate staff
- Attend residential staff meetings
- Ensure that the physical appearance of all residential facilities meets agency standards.
- Participate in regular supervision with Residential Director to promote the provision of quality services
- Other duties as assigned
An individual should demonstrate the following competencies to perform the essential functions of this position.
- Problem Solving: Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner as well as skillfully gathers and analyzes information.
- Communication: Oral and Written: Effectively transfers thoughts and expresses ideas orally or in writing in individual or group situations. Speaks comfortably with a diverse array of individuals and groups.
- Judgment: Displays willingness to make decisions; exhibits sound and accurate judgment; and makes timely decisions.
- Crisis Intervention: Responds appropriately to a client in crisis. Uses a variety of methods to offer short term, immediate help to individuals who have experienced an event that produces mental, physical, emotional or behavioral distress.
- Crisis Management: Makes sound and timely decisions under pressure. Recognizes what is most suitable in particular situation. Effectively makes decisions in non-standard situations. Exhibits independence, decisiveness, and responsibility. Clearly and persuasively communicates decisions and orders to avert crises.
- Planning and Organization: Prioritizes and plans work activities; uses time efficiently; and develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism: Thinks carefully about the likely effects on others of one’s words, actions, appearance, and mode of behavior. Selects the words or actions most likely to have the desired effect on the individual or group in question.
- Safety and Security: Observes safety and security procedures, and uses equipment and materials properly.
- Diversity: Supports and promotes an environment that appreciates and holds opportunities for all, regardless of race, religion, nation of origin, culture, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, physical or mental ability, weight, health status, age or other diversity factors.
- Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, walk, communicate and hear. The employee is occasionally required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee may frequently lift and/or move up to 30 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and ability to adjust focus.
Note: This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities.
To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills aptitudes and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills or abilities.
Read more here:: Idealist