Posted by: Legal Action Worldwide
Juba, Central Equatoria, South Sudan
Legal Action Worldwide (LAW) focuses on providing creative legal assistance in fragile and conflict-affected states. People living in such areas often experience both an increased vulnerability to human rights violations and a decreased ability to access justice. LAW aims to address this through legal interventions aimed at empowering people to know and exercise their rights. Our focus is on sexual violence and forced displacement. We have a presence in South Sudan, the UK, Kenya and Somalia.
LAW is currently undertaking a project with the Te Doy Foundation (TDF) focusing on legal aid and access to justice with Te Doy Foundation, funded by the US Bureau of International Narcotics and Law Enforcement Affairs (INL). The project is focused on assessing the challenges facing legal and justice actors in South Sudan, who are operating in a conflict context with very little capacity or support. It will identify concrete recommendations for increasing access to justice for human rights violations and serious crimes, with a focus on sexual and gender-based violence (SGBV).
LAW is now looking for a Juba-based Rule of Law specialist with expertise in SGBV issues to coordinate the project from Juba in collaboration with LAW’s Nairobi-based staff. The role is offered for a period of 22 months on a full-time basis. It will be based in Juba with travel to Rumbek. The successful candidate should be a South Sudanese national.
Functions/Key Results Expected
The Rule of Law specialist has the following responsibilities:
- Taking the lead in the following projects:
– A report on barriers to access to justice for human rights violations and serious crimes in South Sudan, including challenges and recommendations to addressing these;
– Coordinating a Rule of Law Working Group;
– Training for legal aid providers on evidence collection SGBV offences;
– Training for legal aid providers on international law, particularly relating to SGBV crimes;
– A mentoring project with prosecutors.
- Providing technical assistance to the Legal Advisor on drafting reports and recommendations relating to reform of South Sudanese law, policy and practice;
- Providing technical assistance on all projects relating to SGBV;
- Working with FIDA South Sudan and Friends for Justice South Sudan and providing guidance and monitoring of their paralegals.
In carrying out these responsibilities, the Legal Advisor will perform the legal, fundraising and administrative duties and tasks outlined below:
- Undertake field and theory-based legal research into challenges for access to justice;
- Develop legal documents including position papers, reports and legal briefs;
- Assess laws and policies for the extent to which they protect human rights and promote access to justice, in particular for SGBV offences;
- Assist in writing policies and amendments to laws and policies for a law reform ‘package’ to be presented to the South Sudanese government;
- Organise legal training, seminars and workshops with legal aid providers in South Sudan;
- Assist in the preparation of materials for these trainings.
- Assist in writing monthly donor reports on activities, successes and challenges;
- Setting up bilateral meetings and workshops with key South Sudanese stakeholders including members of the judiciary and justice sector;
- Liaise with FIDA South Sudan and Friends for Justice South Sudan and oversee the work undertaken by their paralegals;
- Attend meetings as necessary.
Skills and Qualifications Required:
- Qualified lawyer with minimum of 5 years practice experience in human rights, criminal, family or refugee law;
- History of focusing on issues relating to rule of law and access to justice;
- Demonstrated expertise in legal response to sexual and gender based violence offences;
- Knowledge of and experience working with international humanitarian, criminal and human rights law;
- Experience advising government or judicial institutions;
- Project management experience;
- Excellent written and oral English, research and drafting skills, organizational and analytical skills;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and strong technical literacy;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills and ability to work on own and take initiative;
- Ability to be flexible and meet deadlines;
- Ability to manage relationships at all levels, possess excellent negotiation and communication skills.
Read more here:: Idealist