Posted by: New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG)
New York, NY, US
The New York Legal Assistance Group (NYLAG), a not-for-profit law office that provides free civil legal services to low-income New Yorkers. For more information please visit www.nylag.org
The Matrimonial & Family Law Unit at NYLAG has an immediate opening for an experienced staff attorney to provide comprehensive legal advocacy to domestic violence victims on orders of protection, divorce, custody, visitation, child support, spousal support, and immigration matters, including VAWA self-petitions, battered spouse waivers, and U-visas, as well as represent clients in multiple venues, including Supreme, Family, and the Integrated Domestic Violence courts throughout New York City. Representation will also include advising clients on crime victim rights, the criminal justice system, and child neglect and abuse matters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Other responsibilities include conducting and developing educational trainings for lawyers, social workers, advocates, and the community on domestic violence and their legal needs, and conduct outreach to underserved communities.The attorney will also work with and may supervise legal interns, volunteers and pro bono attorneys.
- Admission to NYS Bar required
- 5 years of experience in matrimonial and/or family law is preferred
- Fluency in Spanish, Urdu, Bengali or Arabic is preferred
- Experience working with survivors of trauma, immigrant communities and/or underserved communities is required
- Comfortable with working with individuals of diverse backgrounds and experiences
- Strong organizational and administrative skills
- Excellent oral advocacy and writing skills
Read more here:: Idealist