Organization: International Committee of the Red Cross
Closing date: 31 Oct 2016
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is an impartial, neutral and independent organization with the exclusively humanitarian mission to protect the lives and dignity of victims of war and internal violence and to provide them with assistance. It also endeavors to prevent suffering by promoting and strengthening International Humanitarian Law and universal humanitarian principles. The ICRC’s Somalia Delegation in Nairobi implements the institution’s humanitarian activities in Somalia.
COMMUNICATION FIELD OFFICER – KISMAYO
The Communication Field Officer (FO) will be based in Kismayo and will assist the delegation, the ICRC office and the Communication Coordinator in specific dissemination and information/communication projects and programs independently. He/She will perform duties including, but not limited to the following:
· Raises awareness of the ICRC, the Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement and International Humanitarian Law (IHL) towards all ICRC’s target populations;
· Conducts field trips, organizes and conduct briefings, dissemination sessions, workshops, seminars and public relations events;
· Conceptualizes and develops Communication strategies towards target populations;
· Advises on the socio-political and economic environment, which can influence ICRC’s operations;
· Performs independent research and analysis on the perception of the ICRC;
· Distributes communication materials to interlocutors and target populations as required;
· Identifies and contacts key interlocutors when required and updates the department’s interlocutors list;
· Supports communication activities of the Somali Red Crescent Society (SRCS);
· Participates in preparing newsworthy information materials;
· Monitors the media, and collects and files press cuttings;
· Assists in organizing press briefings and field visits for journalists;
· Supports the communication functions of ICRC’s operational departments;
· Participates in briefing and training ICRC staff members at the Kismayo ICRC office;
· Assists in developing dissemination materials when required.
· University degree in Communications or related field;
· 3-4 years professional experience in same or similar field of activity;
· Very good command of written and spoken English and Somali;
· Ability to translate English to Somali and Somali to English;
· Proficiency in MS Office Suite;
· Excellent interpersonal and presentation skills;
· Excellent analytical and writing skills;
· Ability to work autonomously and demonstrate initiative;
· Good knowledge of the political, social and cultural assigned environment;
· Flexible, motivated, reliable, self-starter personality, good sense of responsibility and organization.
· Ability to travel frequently within Somalia.
How to apply:
Interested and qualified persons with the required experience are invited to send their application letter and curriculum vitae to the Head of Human Resources Department, ICRC Somalia Delegation, on the email address email@example.com. Closing date is 31st October, 2016. Please indicate the position title in the subject line of your email message.
NOTE THAT ONLY EMAILED APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Please note that **only short-listed candidates will be contacted* and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.*
Read more here:: ReliefWeb