Organization: CTG Global
Closing date: 06 Nov 2016
Vacancy reference no.:
Market Assessment Consultants
Place of performance:
OVERVIEW OF CTG GLOBAL
CTG support and manage humanitarian projects in fragile and conflict-affected countries around the world. With past performance in 15 countries – from the Middle East, Africa, Europe, Asia and Central and South America – we offer a holistic fabric of project management, implementation and support. Skilled in emergency response to crises such as the Ebola outbreak in West Africa, we have the ability to act quickly (crisis response teams can be on the ground in 24 hours) and to establish structured operations in high-risk environments. CTG recruit and manage qualified, skilled teams with extensive experience operating in challenging conditions.
OVERVIEW OF THE POSITION
The Vulnerability Analysis and Mapping section of WFP (VAM) regularly conducts market analyses to provide the necessary information to inform WFP programming decisions. Primary field data collection is necessary to conduct these analyses. WFP is currently operational in Somaliland, Puntland, Central, Banadir and the Southern regions of Somalia through Area Offices (AOs) located in Hargeisa, Bossaso, Galkayo, Mogadishu and Dolow, respectively.
Despite WFP being active in most areas, parts of its operational areas are considered
inaccessible or have intermittent accessibility to UN staff by the UN department of Safety and
Security (UNDSS). This restricts or limits the ability of UN staff to conduct market field work in those areas. Furthermore, even in areas currently accessible to WFP staff, time constraints limits WFP staff from carrying out the market assessment field work in the desired timeframe, necessitating hiring of external data consultants to carry out the data collection.
The role of the consultant will be to collect survey data for the market assessment on behalf of
WFP in areas which are inaccessible or with limited access. The locations are in the following regions: Galgaduud, Hiran, Mudug in Central Somalia & Lower Shabelle, Middle Shabelle, Bay, Bakool, Gedo, Lower Juba and Middle Juba in Southern Somalia.
The consultants will do so following a sampling design prepared by WFP outlining the specific
locations within the above named regions and the number of interviews to be undertaken in
The activities will include:
· In collaboration with CTG team leaders plan and structure the field work in the assigned
data collection locations. This includes selecting respondents in accordance with the methodology agreed with WFP.
· Using a structured questionnaire provided by WFP to interview traders operating in a market place.
· Using a structured questionnaire provided by WFP to interview key informants on several aspects of markets (environment, structure, potential). The key informants could be heads of the market committees, community leaders or traders with several years of experience and persons with a deep knowledge of the market.
· Ensure that the data collected is of good quality and is well entered in the Open Data Kit (ODK) smartphone application, saved and sent to WFP within the agreed time frame. The data is sent using wife.
· Capture and share with CTG and WFP any challenges met during data collection and any observations relevant to interpreting. the data and compiling the final market assessments.
Data will be collected in a total of 34 locations in the aforementioned regions, of which the consultant will be responsible for a select number. In each assigned location, the consultant must interview a total of 20 respondents:
· 15 traders
· 5 key informants
If the number of interviews is unattainable in a specific location, this must be clearly communicated to and agreed with CTG management, the WFP Area Office and Country Office, prior to starting the field work.
The expected deliverables are:
· Field work plan compiled in consultation with CTG supervisor and shared with WFP CO and the Central Area Office prior to commencing the data collection. Must include strategy of selecting the survey respondents, and a detailed plan of which locations will be visited when.
· Completed traders and market key informant questionnaires of high quality, saved and sent to WFP repository using the ODK mobile phone application.
· Feedback, orally or written, to CTG supervisor and WFP Area Office about any challenges met during field work, or any observations that can help interpret the findings
Head of Program at Area Office
§ Bachelor’s degree in Bachelors in Social Studies or related field.
§ Minimum of 3 years of demonstrable relevant Social Development experience.
§ Minimum of 3 years of experience in Africa and/or Africa with local experience in Somalia is an advantage.
§ Fluency in English and Somali are essential.
· Existing presence in Somalia
· Availability and access to areas in question
· Field data collection experience, preferably with ODK
· Good planning skills
· Good interpersonal skills
· Experience working with technology, specifically handling of smartphones
Other relevant information:
How to apply:
**Interested candidates should create a profile and apply on CTG Global careers website https://recruitmentctg.force.com/xcdrecruit__Site_ExternalPositionDetails?id=a1124000000vuYR
Please refer to the vacancy number: VAC-0315. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.**
Read more here:: ReliefWeb