Organization: Xavier Project
Closing date: 09 Nov 2016
Xavier Project is looking for an employee with extensive experience in accounting and dealing with institutional donors as well as a passion for advocating for educational opportunities for refugees. He or she will be based in Kampala, Uganda and the salary range is $10,000 to $15,000 per year – dependent on experience. Additional benefits to be discussed. The officer will be supervised by the Xavier Project CEO. Target start date – December or January 2016/17. Applicants should have prior permission to live and work in Uganda.
The vision of Xavier Project is for a world where everyone has the right to equal opportunities and protection wherever they live and whatever their background. This right is denied to refugees and we use education to change this. Education provides protection and is the best possible tool to help refugees to access equal opportunities. At Xavier Project we use pioneering education as the means to achieve our vision. We are promoting education for refugees in Kenya and Uganda in particular, so that they can have a positive difference on their communities, whether in their host countries or countries of origin.
Xavier Project has two departments each with their own strategic objective designed to meet this vision. The Education Department aims to increase access to relevant, quality formal education delivered in a safe environment for refugee children. The Tamuka Department aims to make vocational and life-long learning available to all refugees even in emergency situations, primarily through the use of ICT.
Xavier Project is registered as a local NGO in Uganda, an international NGO in Kenya and a company and charity in UK. All operations are in Kenya and Uganda, but a majority of funds are raised in UK. We have a three way partnership agreement between the branches of Xavier Project and one executive team primarily based in the Xavier Project headquarters in Nairobi. Xavier Project currently employs 28 permanent staff and has an annual income of $500,000 which has been increasing by 50% every year since its founding in 2008.
Job Description and Expectations
This employee will be in charge of the finance department in the Xavier Project Uganda office.
• Ensuring that all activities in the Uganda office are in line with the Xavier Project finance manual
• Taking charge of financial reporting to donors
• Reporting internally on Uganda office finances
• Collaborating with the Xavier Project Kenya and Xavier Project UK finance teams and co-designing consolidated reports for the entire organisation
• Building relationships with new potential donors
• Supervising non-financial reporting activities among junior staff members
• Conducting any other activities needed to pursue the vision of Xavier Project that he or she is well placed to conduct
• A commitment to Xavier Project’s core values and basic knowledge of refugee issues
• A bachelor’s degree in finance or accounting
• CPA qualifications
• At least five years’ experience in a finance team with similar accounting and reporting requirements
• Experience of managing partnerships with external companies, donors or institutions
• Strong knowledge of excel and accounting softwares (e.g. Sage Pastel and QuickBooks)
• Faultless English written communication
• Academic background related to career
• A level of self-motivation and ability to function well in a small organisation 0,
How to apply:
Candidates interested in applying for this job should send their CV and answers to the questions below to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 9th 2016. Applicants are urged to apply as soon as they can and not wait until the deadline if possible. Instead of a covering letter please answer the following three questions, with a maximum of 300 words per answer.
Please explain how your finance work in a previous job has maintained or improved relationships between any of the following: your organisation and a donor agency / your organisation and a client / your organisation and a local authority
Give an example in the last three years when you or your organisation arrived at a complex problem and your innovation brought a solution to that problem
How do you expect to show leadership in your role at Xavier Project if you are offered this job?
Candidates should use email title UGANDA FINANCE Please also include the names and contact details of two referees. Short-listed candidates will be contacted by November 18th. For more information on what we do please visit www.xavierproject.org
Read more here:: ReliefWeb