Organization: Norwegian Refugee Council
Country: United Republic of Tanzania
Closing date: 11 Nov 2016
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
In mid-April 2016, NRC conducted a Pre-Assessment mission in the refugee camps of Mtendeli/Karago, Nduta and Nyarugusu of Tanzania to gain an understanding of the humanitarian situation, identify gaps and needs for the Burundian refugees in the Country. The assessment revealed that the humanitarian situation for the refugees requires urgent intervention as the needs in almost all the sectors relevant to NRC are high. As of May 2016, Tanzania was hosting over 140,007 Burundian refugees and number was project by UNHCR to reach 170,000 people by the end of 2016. In view of this, NRC has decided to establish an operational office in Kibondo area in north western Tanzania to respond. The initial focus of the operation will be in Mtendeli/Karago and Nduta refugee camps. NRC will start with interventions focusing on two sectors, shelter (transitional, including a WASH component; family latrines) and education (initially construction of permanent classrooms).
The purpose of the Support Manager position is to ensure that all support functions are providing high quality and efficient support programme implementation in the specific Area.
- Generic Responsibilities:
- Line management for Coordinators such as Finance, HR & Admin and Logistics (incl. ICT)
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and handbooks and donor/auditor requirements
- Facilitate the support functions strategic input to the development of the strategy and Plan of Action at Area level
- Provide input on operational support in proposal development, and to coordinate and align operational support with programme plans
- Responsible for ensuring quality support to project implementation.
- Facilitate the Area Support Master Budget, Area level budgets and contribute to BPO development, including assess and monitor costs and resource allocation needs
- Responsible for the strategic development of Area structures, technical systems, human resource capacity and allocation
- Responsible for development of new Area specific technical SOPs, guidelines and tools
- Responsible for organizational learning related to programme support at Area level
- Responsible for technical capacity building of support staff
- Specific Responsibilities:
- Member of the Area Management Group (AMG)
- Implement NRC’s financial, HR, administration and logistics systems, routines and procedures
- Responsible for corruption mapping and mitigation practices and procedures in the programme;
- Ensure adequate and fit-for-purpose support strategy rooted in national staff capacity development;
- Ensure that all rules, regulations, routines, procedures, SOPs are accessible to and known by all staff;
- Responsible for monthly closure and posting of monthly expenditure on time
- Maintain overall budget control and monitor cash flows
- Maintain overview donors’ requirement and deadlines
- Generic professional competencies:
- Minimum 4 years’ relevant experience from a senior management position in a humanitarian/ recovery context
- Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Allocation of resources and costs expertise
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
- Fluency in English, both written and verbal
- Valid driver’s license
- Context/ Specific skills, knowledge and experience:
- Knowledge of the context in Tanzania/East Africa
- Fluency in French or Kirundi is an advantage
- Experience with start-up of new country or area operations.
- Experience with the use ICT software to develop proposals, budgets, work plans, and monitoring and evaluation tools.
- Experience in training and capacity building of teams and staff
- Behavioral competencies:
- These are personal qualities that influence how successful people are in their job. NRC’s Competency Framework states 12 behavioral competencies and the following are essential for this position:
- Strategic thinking
- Managing performance and development
- Empowering and building trust
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Coping with Change
- Duty station: Kibondo, Tanzania
- Commencement: ASAP
- Contract duration: 12 months contract with possibility of extension.
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s general directions, The candidate will observe NRC’s code of conduct and working hours for NRC Tanzania.
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected
How to apply:
Candidates can apply online by following the below link: Email and paper applications will not be considered.
Read more here:: ReliefWeb