Organization: Internews Network
Country: United States of America
Closing date: 04 Nov 2016
The Vice President, Global Technology Programs will be responsible for the design, development and management of Internews’ new Global Technology Programs Department. This department will lead the strategy, technical approach, and learning around core technology-related programs across the organization. The VP will set the strategic vision, lead the senior management and cultivate the technical leadership of the Department in ways that optimizes Internews mission. The VP, Global Technology Programs supervises the senior program managers within his/her department, including Directors and Managers, who in turn are responsible for the overall management of their respective portfolios of projects. The VP is responsible for the outreach, partnerships and fundraising necessary to advance departmental and organizational goals. The Department currently consists of a team of 7 staff, managing a portfolio of digital security, privacy and internet policy projects. We envision the department may expand to include other technology-related practices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following – other duties may be assigned:
Strategic Leadership for Global Technology Programs Department
- Develop organizational strategy for the role, approach, impact and learning for global technology programs that supports the overall Internews Strategic Framework.
- Annually craft departmental work plans and budgets that effectively advances this strategy within available resources.
- Cultivate and grow relationships with international partners, corporations and donors in this field in support of this strategy.
- Make recommendations to the President, officers and/or the Internews Board regarding policy or program decisions necessary for the effective deployment of technology across the organization.
Innovate, Manage & Grow Global Technology Projects
- Strategically grow a portfolio of global technology projects, with an eye towards innovation, impact and organizational learning. The portfolio currently includes: 1) technology projects spanning digital security and digital inclusion; and 2) internet policy projects. In the future, this technology portfolio could expand to encompass other areas, such as digital media and ICT4D.
- Work with portfolio Directors and Managers to ensure all global technology projects are meeting their goals and targets, are compliant and producing timely and high-quality programmatic and financial reports.
- Work with the Business Manager and program directors/managers to regularly review portfolio progress, from both a program impact and financial performance basis. Work with program directors/managers to adjust/improve program implementation, as necessary.
- Support the department Business Manager to ensure that projects across the portfolio are compliant with overall finance and administrative policies of Internews.
- Work with department directors and managers & the Global Development Department to ensure good on-going programs and important new initiatives are funded and maintained.
Organizational Services & Learning
- Cultivate a suite of core technology products. Building from project-funded activities, develop a system to identify, cultivate and maintain a set of core products that merit long-term use within Internews programs and within our broader community.
- Identify opportunities to advance mission impact and fertilize technology learning across the organization.
- Building on the work of the London-based Tech Hub, explore the appropriate balance and systems to provide programmatic technology support services to regional program teams and country offices.
- Partners with Corporate IT on the identification and implementation of organization wide tools and services.
Supervision & Department Management
- Supervise and manage the senior team of the department, including interviewing, hiring, and training; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Mentor the senior team on managing their direct reports in ways that build the team’s professionalism and effectiveness.
- Manage the department budget.
Communications, Public Relations and Policy Advocacy
- Serve as one of the senior spokespersons for Internews programs globally, including working with the VP for Outreach and Communications to advance our global technology work with the public, our supporters and potential supporters, online and with the news media.
- Represent Internews at conferences and public events concerning ICTs and global development.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- At least 5 years’ experience of management in international non-profit organizations and least 10 years of progressively senior experience in a relevant industry.
- ICT, media programs (management, online/digital, policy)background and/or experience with innovative digital communication platforms strongly preferred.
- Experience with tech product management highly desirable, including demonstrated ability to build a product roadmap, lead on designing new features, etc.
- Experience living and working overseas and working on applied ICT, media and policy programs.
- Extensive experience with international development grants management, donor and international partner relations. Experience working with the U.S. Agency for International Development, other donor agencies and private development organizations.
- Experience working with multi-stakeholder groups, working groups and coalitions at the international level devoted to policy and problem solving in relevant sectors.
- Experience in non-profit business development; researching development and funding opportunities, leading proposal teams on relevant policy and ICT inputs.
- Track record of planning, goal setting, and achieving major results to deadlines. Proven capabilities in monitoring and evaluation processes for development programs and technology products, as relevant preferred.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of an international team in a flexible, dynamic environment across multiple time zones and working divisions at Internews.
- Fluent English essential for this role, additional languages strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate in international and local contexts.
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, presenting, writing, and listening.
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member.
- Proven ability to prioritize and handle multiple on-going assignments to deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively as needed globally in support of programs in PMU as well as other locations overseas and domestic US.
How to apply:
To apply. please visit our Career Center.
Read more here:: ReliefWeb