Posted by: Queens Community House
Borough of Queens, NY, US
STATUS: Part-Time, Non-Exempt
SALARY: $21.00 P/Hour
SCHEDULE: Monday-Friday, 2:15pm-5:30pm; additional prep, meeting and training time
Queens Community House (QCH) is a multi-site, multi-service settlement house that serves the diverse population of Queens through a broad network of programs and services for Children and Youth, Adults and Families, and Older Adults. Our mission is to provide individuals and families with the tools to enrich their lives and build healthy, inclusive communities. We are a modern interpretation of the traditional settlement house, bringing to our work current best practices, cost-effective management, innovative leadership, and a passion for social and economic justice.
We welcome amazing individuals who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change lives. Our Children and Youth division for ages 5 to 21 allow participants to explore interests and passions, develop positive social connections, contribute to their community, become life-long learners, and gain meaningful experiences. We are seeking a qualified Activity Specialist with a strong commitment to youth development and a love for the game, either soccer or basketball. The Activity Specialist will serve as a model for middle school youth by providing an engaging and fun experience, while conducting activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, practice and implementation.
- Lead all gym activities to include games and practices.
- Organize tournament schedule and track tournament team standings.
- Assist Director and Assistant Director in overseeing staff and provide feedback as needed.
- Referee in-house basketball and soccer games.
- Review instructional methods, and student performance in order to assess strengths and weaknesses, and provide recommendations for development.
- Follow safety protocols and ensure participants’ physical and emotional safety.
- Engage with youth and use appropriate strategies to preemptively defuse inappropriate behavior, troubleshoot concerns and encourage social positive interactions.
- Train staff in basketball/soccer coaching and refereeing.
- Ensure areas used are kept organized and clean; collect sports equipment after each game.
- Demonstrate appropriate communication with students, parents, staff, and other stakeholders.
- Support external field trips.
- Participate in training and staff development activities.
- Other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Minimum of 18 years old.
- Minimum of High School Diploma or GED and must be currently enrolled in an institution of higher education; college studies in psychology, education, social work, or related field a plus.
- Minimum of two (2) years’ of experience working with middle school youth in a similar setting.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and facilitate leadership and sports enrichment activities with an understanding of youth development principles.
- Knowledge of basketball or soccer required; previous experience playing, coaching, and/or refereeing; score books and player statistics/calculations.
- Must have a commitment to work from a strength-based and/or youth development perspective.
- Demonstrated attendance and punctuality in meeting required schedule.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, multi-tasking and communication skills.
- Must be cleared by regulating agencies as a condition of employment.
This position is available immediately. Queens Community House offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. The benefits package varies by position and may include medical/dental/vision offerings, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, generous time off and a 403b plan. We value health and wellness too and as such Staff can earn annual leave days, sick days and enjoy most federal holidays. Staff can also take advantage of an array of professional development opportunities, including trainings and learning bits.
We are a passion-led, mission-driven organization – one that looks to continually enrich the lives of our diverse member community. If you would like to join our team, please forward your cover letter and resume, with subject line “Activity Specialist”to Robert Borja at the email listed when you select apply or mail to:
J.H.S. 157 – Queens Community House
Attention: Robert Borja
63-55 102nd Street
Rego Park, NY 11374
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – DRUG FREE WORKPLACE
Read more here:: Idealist