Organization: Hebrew Immigrant Aid Society
Country: Costa Rica
Closing date: 01 Dec 2016
HIAS seeks a Finance and Operations Manager to be responsible for all local financial, operational and administrative activities necessary to initiate HIAS’ new project, which includes the management and reporting of all financial activities of HIAS in Costa Rica; and the day-to-day operational and logistical activities required for the smooth operation of the program. S/he works under the direction of the Country Representative for HIAS Costa Rica and in close collaboration with the Associate Vice President for Global Program Operations, the HIAS headquarters (HQ) Controller and other key management staff at HIAS HQ to ensure that HIAS Costa Rica has the financial, human, technical and operational resources it needs to operate and that these resources are deployed in an efficient manner. In addition, s/he works closely with UNHCR staff in Costa Rica to review and manage budgets and financial reporting and with local authorities to ensure that HIAS is operating in accordance with all local laws and standards. The duration of this assignment is approximately one year. Resumes and cover letters must be submitted no later than Friday, November 22nd in order to be considered.
• Leads the preparation, reconciliation and submission of monthly and year-end financial information to the HIAS HQ finance department and other financial management information to HIAS HQ, as required.
• Prepares accurate complete and timely financial reports to donors and other financial requirements in respect to both contractual and legal requirements.
• Ensures finance and grant records are kept in an organized, systematic manner as per donor requirements and local laws.
• Protects HIAS’ financial assets through internal control and auditing procedures and implementing fraud policy.
• Oversees financial activity in the HIAS Costa Rica office.
• Ensures that all financial transactions and journal entries are recorded in a timely and accurate fashion and in accordance with HIAS’ Finance and Accounting policies.
• Develops and maintains complete and accurate financial records for HIAS Costa Rica in accordance with HIAS’ international finance standards.
• Reviews and authorizes expenditures, as appropriate.
• Provides financial reports as required to UNHCR, HIAS HQ and any other funders that may contribute to the project.
• Acts as primary liaison with UNHCR and HIAS HQ on financial matters pertaining to HIAS Costa Rica.
• Prepares monthly fund requests and plans office cash flow to ensure funds are available for program activities with reasonable lead time.
• Develops and updates a strategy to minimize exposure to currency gains and losses, liaising with the HIAS HQ Controller’s office.
• Develops, tracks and updates the country office budget, in collaboration with the Country Representative and HIAS HQ.
• Produces and familiarizes budget holders with guidelines to assist in formulating and managing project budgets.
• Reviews periodically budget holders’ skills in managing budgets and coordinate refresher training, when deemed appropriate.
• Opens and maintains HIAS’ bank account in Costa Rica and operate as HIAS’ primary local contact with bank officers.
• Develops employment contracts in compliance with local law and standards, maintain proper employment records, and guarantee the withholding and payment of all required taxes and social payments in accordance with local law.
• Identifies appropriate premises for HIAS’ operation in Costa Rica and negotiate terms of lease agreement with the landlord.
• Ensures that HIAS premises are in good repair and equipped with the necessary furniture and equipment for HIAS Costa Rica; acts as primary contact with landlord, vendors and tradesmen toward this end.
• Oversees the procurement of equipment and supplies and negotiate contracts with suppliers, vendors and/or contractors, in accordance with HIAS’ world-wide procurement policy.
• Provides counsel to the Country Representative for all matters pertaining the financial and administrative operations of HIAS Costa Rica.
• In the absence of the Country Representative, serves as the backup and point of contact.
Qualifications and Requirements:
• Graduate degree in Finance and Accounting or Accounting certification.
• Oral and written fluency in English and Spanish.
• A citizen of Costa Rica or a foreign national resident of Costa Rica eligible to be employed in Costa Rica.
• A minimum of ten (10) years of experience in the financial and operational management of a non-governmental organization (NGO) or not-for-profit entity in Costa Rica.
• Experience working on projects funded by United Nations agencies and/or other international donors.
• Knowledge of Costa Rican laws and procurement for employment, financial management, renting of properties and other standard contracts.
• Excellent computer skills, including the ability to use accounting software packages and to maintain and analyze financial data in Microsoft Excel
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to develop and maintain strong working relationships with funders, partners, vendors and the ability to negotiate with each.
• Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills; a flexible creative and collaborative working style.
HIAS is a global Jewish nonprofit organization working in 14 countries across five continents to ensure that refugees and displaced persons are protected. Throughout the United States, we help refugees reunite with families, resettle and become self-sufficient. Guided by our values and history, we help refugees rebuild their lives in safety and security and advocate to ensure that all displaced people are treated with dignity.
HIAS IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND COMPLIES WITH ALL FEDERAL, STATE AND LOCAL EMPLOYMENT LAWS.
How to apply:
Please submit your resume and cover letter to our website, http://www.hias.org/career-and-internship-opportunities
Read more here:: ReliefWeb