Posted by: City Year
Boston, MA, US
This position is location flexible between Boston and Philadelphia.
The District Engagement Director will join the national District Engagement Center of Expertise at City Year’s Headquarters to help City Year achieve its long – term impact goals. The Director will bring a strong background in education, working in positions at a school, district, and / or nonprofit organization. Reporting to the Senior Director, Diplomas Now and District Engagement, the Director will directly support City Year sites on their District Engagement strategy to develop sustainable public partnerships that deliver consistent student and school – wide outcomes and promote collaborative learning and continuous improvement. This position requires an influential, self – motivated, and highly – organized individual who is a proven leader of people, processes, and projects. The Director will interact effectively with a broad range of internal and external stakeholders and will have a demonstrated ability to operate in a fast – paced environment and with a collaborative, results – oriented approach. This is both a demanding and exciting position, and the successful applicant will understand the importance of, and receive great satisfaction from, building organizational and site – level expertise in effective public partnerships. The location for this position is flexible, with a strong preference for the role to be based in Boston or Philadelphia.
The statements in this description represent typical work performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required for the job.
Strategic Thinking and Planning
- Utilize strategic thinking and planning to understand the complex challenges City Year sites and district partners face and make recommendations to the organization of the most optimal course of action.
- Understand the current state and future potential of City Year site’s district partnerships in order to provide strategic support to City Year site staff including:
- assessing the strength of City Year’s district relationships
- identifying opportunities to increase impact collaboratively with partners
- identifying current and future sources of funding for City Year’s work
- leveraging opportunities to secure the adoption of City Year’s data goals, including secure, automated data transfer into City Year systems
Internal Consultancy and Coaching Support
- Provide proactive engagement, strategy consultation, and technical assistance to support sites in strengthening their district and other public partnerships
- On – board new City Year staff in district engagement practices, education policy, and partnership strategy
- Identify and codify best practices related to school, district, and other public partnerships, and share them across the City Year network
- Build strong internal relationships across other departments and with site staff by providing superior customer service and timely and effective responses to requests for support
- Utilize strong negotiation skills to influence site (and district, as needed) leadership to pursue recommended courses of action
- Clearly communicate complex information in a compelling way in both written and verbal formats
- Develop and update externally facing materials to effectively communicate City Year’s value to schools and districts
- Graduate Degree in education, business, or policy
- 7 + years of experience in education (school, district, nonprofit)
- Ability to understand complex challenges, analyze potential paths forward and make recommendations on the best course of action
- Understanding of programmatic research, school reform practices and policy
- Strong strategic thinking, communication, project management, and creative problem solving skills
- Superior communication skills and experience summarizing complex concepts
- Actively seeks out opportunities to improve the performance of self, team, and organization
- Flexible, persistent, and resilient
- Ability to prioritize, take initiative, and lead multiple projects in a fast – paced and deadline – driven environment
- Exceptional follow – through and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to work independently to solve complex problems
- Experience working collaboratively and in a team – based environment
- Proven ability to build and leverage relationships
- Experience soliciting feedback and making adjustments to continually improve services
- Sense of humor and flexibility
- Demonstrated passion for work that directly benefits students and communities
Compensation and Benefits
Full time employees are entitled to compensation commensurate with experience. Benefits for full time employees include health insurance with Flexible Spending Account, paid vacation, holidays, parental leave, 401K, and more.
City Year is an Equal Opportunity Employer, committed to a diverse workforce. Individuals from all backgrounds are encouraged to apply, including persons with disabilities and veterans.
Read more here:: Idealist